Question About my Dell

guitardude777

In Runtime
Hey everyone, I'm new here, and I have a question for you guys regarding my Dell Dimension 4700. It's an okay computer(wish I would have built my own), but there are always things about it that just get on my nerves. The main thing that gets on my nerves is the hard drive seeking noise. It might sound ridiculous, but it really drives me nuts. Currently I'm running a 250gb Seagate Barracuda drive, not the cheap Maxtor that came with it. The seeking noise on the Seagate is still very noticeable, but not as bad as the Maxtor was. My question is, why is the hard drive seeking noise that I'm hearing so noticeable and loud? Is it just a crappy case? Because none of my friends' computers generate this noise and it just makes me mad!:mad: Is there any way to get rid of it??

It might be the case- dell has pretty crappy cases. I would try to get the computer as far away from you as possible, that would probably be the easiest thing to do.

You can slide a thin rubber strip between the drive and the drive cage and mount it back up. I use rubber gromlets on mine. But then mine's a custom build.

go into the bios, and change the harddrive acoustics to quiet

I was thinking of doing that; how much will it effect the performance of the drive though?

You can slide a thin rubber strip between the drive and the drive cage and mount it back up. I use rubber gromlets on mine. But then mine's a custom build.

I was gonna do that, but the strips of rubber would need to be super thin. I don't know where I would get some. Right now I have pieces of foam in between the drive and the cage so the drive isn't touching any part of the aluminum case, but it didn't do much good.

I was thinking of doing that; how much will it effect the performance of the drive though?

well you'd have to see, depending on what you use it for it could effect it greatly, if you dont game and use intense programs that require a ton of loading then it will be fine, boot will be a little slower, but id rather have quiet over performance... but thats just me, i say give it a try and if the performance difference is too much then you can always change it right back

Shouldn't bother it. I run my Samsung's in full quiet mode and still have under 8ms seek times.

Back
Top Bottom