Question about my current Rig

Teny

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
So I think I wouldnt be able to build a new rig by this winter or spring, so I think I will upgrade instead.
If I were to get an new graphics card (better than the 8800GT) and 2GB of more ram to run Windows Vista or 7. Do you think I will be able to max out games coming out within these few months? (Kind of a Christmas present to myself)
Or do you think it would be a pointless upgrade and a part of my system is going to bottleneck each other, and I should just build a new rig after next summer?

So I think I wouldnt be able to build a new rig by this winter or spring, so I think I will upgrade instead.
If I were to get an new graphics card (better than the 8800GT) and 2GB of more ram to run Windows Vista or 7. Do you think I will be able to max out games coming out within these few months? (Kind of a Christmas present to myself)
Or do you think it would be a pointless upgrade and a part of my system is going to bottleneck each other, and I should just build a new rig after next summer?

Teny, you know this so I will assume it was just a brain fart...what resolution...? at higher resolutions you will probably be cpu limited depnding on how much better of a video card you plan on getting...

Haha, damn. I was telling myself not to forget to put the resolution when posting this too.
Playing at 1680x1050, and possibly 1920x1080 around next spring/summer.

You're processor is way better then mine, and I can max out crysis at 1080p and still get 30fps+. I would say anything over a GTS250 should be awesome for you. Get a GTX260 core 216, and you'll have an awesome rig. C2D's are usually better for gaming IMO anyhow.

^ That's arguable. Core2Duo's are cheaper, and can typically clock higher. So they are probably a great solution for a person who never intends to play more than CallofDuty4 or the likes. But for applications that can use more than 2 threads (which is becoming of most games on the market) a C2Q is the way to go, or I7, etc...

I've been told that my CPU isnt holding back my 8800GT, so if I were to get any major performance, it's best getting an new graphics card. But then again, it depends on the game to see how many cores it requires to run properly.

Well I might be selling my rig to my brother for $200, so I will only be paying about $400 on my new rig. Kind of want to wait till they release the DX11 and become mainstream and lower the price before I go out and buy stuff.
A $600 computer (AM3 PII x4 + 4850 build) doesnt seem like much of an performance upgrade compared to my current rig. Seems like I need about another $100 or so just to notice some difference. I want to try out the AM3, and don't really want to spend money on AM2+, 775, or DDR2 stuff.
So now I continue playing the waiting game...

I personally did a major upgrade by getting a new CPU, Motherboard, PSU and some new RAM. I then (yesterday) ordered a new GPU. I still have the original case, fan's, hard drives and optical drives. I will proberbly be replacing them some time in the future.

What i'm getting at here is: couldn't you upgrade step by step, instead of all in one go?

I've been told that my CPU isnt holding back my 8800GT, so if I were to get any major performance, it's best getting an new graphics card. But then again, it depends on the game to see how many cores it requires to run properly.

Well I might be selling my rig to my brother for $200, so I will only be paying about $400 on my new rig. Kind of want to wait till they release the DX11 and become mainstream and lower the price before I go out and buy stuff.
A $600 computer (AM3 PII x4 + 4850 build) doesnt seem like much of an performance upgrade compared to my current rig. Seems like I need about another $100 or so just to notice some difference. I want to try out the AM3, and don't really want to spend money on AM2+, 775, or DDR2 stuff.
So now I continue playing the waiting game...

your cpu is already over 3.00GHz which is pretty much around the point where additional clock speed doesn't matter much in gaming, I'd stay with the green team and get a GTX 260 (216) and let gaming goodness ensue, I thought you might be thinking of a huge upgrade and getting a 4870x2 or GTX285 or something, that's why I brought up being cpu limited, but the GTX 260 (216) would probably be perfect for your rig...

Back
Top Bottom