question about my built-in pc

fatashbulker

Beta member
Hi, im new to this forums. This pc i bought a product of eMachines which already has a video card built in. I was going to upgrade my vid card as it only has 9mb :(, then there was no slot on the motherboard. Is there any other way i can upgrade my vid card w/o even buying a new motherboard?

Welcome to the forum...

Hello and welcome.

If you have a pci slot available you can install a pci based video card. BUT before you go and plunk down your money for a card check the bios to see if you can disable the onboard video system. If you can then by all means proceed. If not then I'm sorry to say you're stuck with what you have.

welcome to the forum!

setishock is right about all that. And it is a shame a person buys these machines to later learn that they are NOT truely upgradable. Their version of being upgradable is being able to upgrade from a cd-rom to a cd-rw and maybe allow you to double your memory from 128 to 256 but will not go higher without having to replace the mobo.

Yea, that pisses me off also. My one computer can only upgrade to a celeron processor (socket 370) which is only about maybe up to 800 MHZ. The previous owner said it could be upgraded to pentium 3 (1.0 GHZ) and I tried this and it wouldn't show up. I'm guessing it only supports celeron or the chip I bought was bad.

Back
Top Bottom