Question about buying a new computer.

BeerHunter

Beta member
I need a new computer for the wife since her old one died. The problem is they all come with Windows 8 now and we want Windows XP on it.

Why do we want XP? Well , she only uses it to play NWN (the original) and her encyclopedia. I have a couple of older programs I seldom use but would like to be able to once in a while ,Adobe Acrobat 5 and PhotoShop 6 , neither of which are compatible with Windows 7 (which I have on my system) , let alone Windows 8.

I can buy a reasonably good basic system fairly cheap at a computer store and drop in a good ATI 4770 2G video card for graphics.

I can easily format the HDD and install Windows XP SP1. The thing is , these box store computers don't come with the MB drivers and any drivers they do have are more than likely going to be Windows 8.

My question is , are the MB drivers really necessary for such a simple , basic operation or will the drivers in XP suffice?

Comments appreciated.

i am assuming that by "MB" you are talking about the motherboard.
as for motherboard drivers it's usually only sata and USB drivers to make it work better. also onboard sound and ethernet.
you need to be sure that at least you can get the sound and network working. if you can, then you are all good to go.

Back
Top Bottom