question

tj107us1

In Runtime
Which formate does windows 7 need a MBR or GPT? i tried loading windows 7 on a WD hard drive formated to GPT and it said it couldnt load win 7 to it.

yeah it says that too, see what happens is when i boot it from the os boot dvd to load windows 7 on that hard drive it says that it cant because the disk is in the gpt partotion type. So now im going to try the MBR partition type. But they both have NTSF format.

i tried the gpt but it wouldnt load it on the hard drive. Im gonna try the MBR just to see if it does anything, ive tried all i know to do besides take it to a pro to have it looked at.

Try this if you don't mind loosing data...

At the "Where do you want to install Windows?" screen hit Shift+F10 to bring up a command prompt.
Type "diskpart" and hit enter.
Type "list disk" and hit enter.
Type "select disk x" replacing x with the number of the disk you want to install Windows to.(Typically you will see a * under GPT for the disk you are having a problem installing to.)
Type "clean" and hit enter. (SEE NOTE BELOW!!!!!)
Type "exit" and hit enter.
Close the command prompt
window.
Click Refresh in the "Where do you want to install Windows?" screen.
You should now be able to install windows on the disk that was GPT formatted.

***NOTE*** The clean command will destroy ALL data on the disk you run it on!!! This includes any OEM specific hidden recovery partitions etc. Be absolutely SURE there is NOTHING you need to keep on that disk before running any of these commands. Also this typically converts the disk from GPT back to MBR, you may alternativly use the convert command in diskpart. To read the help in diskpart, type "help commandnamehere" for more info...

-http://www.vistax64.com

I gave credit where credit was due and i was helping someone whose question was not answered not adding on useless stuff to something that was already answered.

I know haha, but it's just a pet peeve of mine for someone to post false information or not give credit to someones correct information...

And then i realized i did it :D

Back
Top Bottom