Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-18-2007, 11:58 AM   #1
BSOD

Default Question

Ok I installed both windows 98 and windows 2000 on my mother computer. I want to know how do I take windows 98 off of the computer I just want windows 2000 on the computer. Thanks

gangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:01 PM   #2
Golden Master

Default Re: Question

FIrst off, we'll need to adjust settings in Windows 2000.

Go into Tools>Folder Options, and Check View Hidden Files. Uncheck Hide system Files.

Then, in the C:\> Directory, open boot.ini

Where you see the line where Windows 98 is, delete the entire line. Make sure you keep the Windows 200 line or there won't be any bootable OS!

lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:42 PM   #3
BSOD

I dont see nothing that says Boot.ini could you please tell me is it under a deffrent name or something. Thanks
Old 04-18-2007, 12:49 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

He wants to completely remove Windows 98!! OMFG!!

To begin with, me need to stop being a lunatic. Thenz0rz, what we'll do right, is we'll begin by altering the boot.ini like lhuser said, then stop for a pint of Carling.

Next, simply reformat the partition Windows 98 is stored on using Windows 2000. Windoze 98 uses FAT32 which is visible to the techinically superior NTFS system as used by Windows 2000, so this is easy to do just like right-click the partition on the My Computer viewing pane stop for another pint ands then just click t3h f0rm4t widget device thingy.

Then ye can do some crazy shizzle to join the two partitions together again, like one with the whole world!!!!!!11!!!!!!1!1oen

by the way, there be a utility called msconfig which grants the quaestor direct access to the boot.ini without any need for the evil witchcraft of hidden files and the command prompt.
UK31337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:11 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to Starr Send a message via MSN to Starr

Ok, UK's post is kind of, um, weird. First, you're going to want to go to Start>run. In the run box type in "msconfig" and hit enter. A little box will pop up. In here at the top there are a group of tabs. Click the "boot.ini" tab. Once you are in there look for lines with "Windows 98" in it and delete it. Don't delete anything with "Windows 2000" in it or you'll be in for a fun ride.

After that download a trial of "Partition Magic" or similar software. When you open it up it should identify all of the partitions, including the one with Windows 98 on it. You should then be able to reformat the partition and join it with the Windows 2000 partition so you get some extra hard drive space. Just don't delete the wrong partition.

Windows Vista Business Edition

"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who know binary and those who don't."
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:32 PM   #6
BSOD

ok I typed in msconfig and a popped up but I still dont see nothing that says boot.ini. the only tab that I see is the ones that says General, Config.sys, Autoexec.bat, System.ini, Win.ini and Setup now what do I Suppose to do?
Old 04-18-2007, 02:12 PM   #7
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangster View Post
Ok I installed both windows 98 and windows 2000 on my mother computer. I want to know how do I take windows 98 off of the computer I just want windows 2000 on the computer. Thanks
Is there anything on the 98 setup that you want to keep? If there isnt then it would be just as easy to do a clean install of 2000, and remove the 98 partition during the setup of 2000.

Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote