question

jsc619

Solid State Member
I am planing on building a computer and was wondering if I can buy a motherboard, cpu and memory and use the rest from my old computer and can I use the old hard drive with windows xp already installed or will I have to buy a new copy of windows? Thanks Shaun

yea, you should be able to do that. there might be a problem with your videocard. just post your specs, and give links to the upgrades please. and well try to help you out. :)

Ok the cpu is the e6600 and Mb is http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813130055
Memory I'm not sure what to get although I would like to get as little as possible right now until there's more money to spend. So any suggestions? Also I need suggestions on a video card thats not too expensive. I dont do too much gaming so I'll mostly use the computer for making dvd's and internet and some occasional counter strike/ Half life. and feel free to tell me if thats not the best MB for the price. O and the old computer is a sony vaio 1.7 P4 80 gb 512mb radeon agp video card dvd/cd burner so I was hoping I could use the hd and cd drives until I was able to buy new

You will probably have to reinstall the OS once you make your new build, either that or you might need to activate it again.

I have all the system recovery cd's that came with the sony if that helps?

They might work, but they will more than likely be configured for the sony, so you may run into problems. If it was me personally, i would get hold of a standard XP disc.

Back
Top Bottom