A Question

FEC

Solid State Member
I am preparing to get 2Gb of memory for my computer (DDR) and i have checked, and my motherboard supports it. One of my friends has suggested that it may not be wise 'Because of my processor' I wonder if he's right, so i've come here. My processor is an AMD 1800 MHz of a sort.

Anyone know, and if i can prove them wrong?

Cheers, FEC.

haha, your mates obviously jealous.

The thing is, your motherboard supports that processor, yeah? I mean it has to to work, so if the motherboard supports 2gb, then of course the processor would be fine with it :p

Its not the fastest processor around, so your mate might be thinking of it in the way of the speed boost you will get, and it depends how much you have now. 1gb is usually plenty for a system nowadays, and so, if you are getting slowdowns and such on programs, it might be more the processor than anything, espiecally if you have like 1gb of RAM already for instance.

When buying the RAM though, check the speed your motherboard supports (for example, PC3200 or otherwise known as DDR400) or you'll end up buying some thats rather slow, or some that is too fast for your system.

I hope this helps :)

Thanks, i'll be getting a newer processor some time soon anyways, but for now i'm übering up my memory.

Yeah, though changing the processor would probably also mean changing the motherboard, and changing the motherboard might mean that if your motherboard only supports a slow type, it wouldn't be very good to swap these RAM chips to the new machine (and 2gb costs alot of money to spend on and waste).

May I ask why you are updating your memory to this amount? Like, what made you decide to? How much do you have now?

Yeah, If you don't know your motherboard name, run this program:

http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

It'll tell you the name of the motherboard, and also alot of other useful info about your computer.

We can then search on Google or something if you want for compatable RAM :)

Here you go then :):

"2x 184-pin DDR Module Socket support DDR200/DDR266/DDR333 DDR SDRAM up to 2.0GB System memory", so yes your right, 2gb is the max, and so search for that speed RAM (DDR333 to get more of a speed boost if you can as your going for maximum)
Processor support:

"Support Socket-A for AMD Athlon /Duron TM uni-proccessor at 266/333MHz Front Side Bus with double data rate"

With Socket A support, it is possible you could just slot in a new, rather new processor to get even more of a speed boost and not have to change your motherboard when you do :D, though take note of the MHZ front side bus when you decide to buy one.

So you have 1gb already?
What do you do on the computer that you think would need more RAM? (1gb is plenty, and most people have that, or are you going to buy two of those?). Once I know this, I can tell you honestly if its a worthwhile purchase, or if you should save up for a new processor instead :)

That RAM is rather cheap anyway for 1GB, though it is for PC333 which isn't the fastest, though its all your motherboard supports (my PC3200 RAM for example cost me over 100 and something pound!!!)
and yes, that RAM would work fine, though if you have another 1gb chip in the system already, what speed is that stated at?
I only ask this because if the RAM in the computer already is slower than PC333 (the new stuff) then your new RAM would get slowed down by the slower RAM in there already which might have a lower specification, though might be PC333 anyway :)
That program up there might tell you that.

I generally just want to make my computer run things faster, including the games i play. I've currently only got 512 of two 256 sticks, which sucks, hence, i wanted to make my computer worthy of being used again.

Thanks, FEC.

Back
Top Bottom