Quad Core's first arrivals!

Re: Quad Core Arrival Estimation

Well, yes the 7800GT that I mentioned has two GPUs on it. It even says in the specs that it's Dual Core. So I don't know.

Methinks we will have dual motherboard and such with the nice stuff. USB will be replaced with FireWire

Well FireWire hasn't really taken off yet. It's only a metter of time. I personally don't own anythign that uses firewire, or even have a firewire port! Although, I'm sure there's a lot of potential within FireWire, also there's a lot of potential within the USB devices. I see the FireWire and USB devices as not holding GPUs or CPUs but rather to replace your hard drives. They're smaller, and they can hold a LOT of space. This leaves more room for fans or some other type of upgrade.

But the really interesting thing will be more powerful PSUs. Most people are just now starting get go beyond the 430W limit and breach the 500W limit. It'll be interesting to see the first 1KW PSUs go mainstream and enter all PCs. Not to mention, with CPUs and GPUs getting faster and faster and then smaller, yet they're consuming less power and emitting less heat!

Another cool thing would be if you could harness the heat your PC gives off and apply that to power the PC! SOmethign on the lines of a thermal powered Solar Panel. That would be interesting. Because you'd want more heat on your PC, which in turn would power it, which in turn would power the fans, and so on. Just a thought! :)

But the Dual-Core GPUs are defeinetly predicted to launch in Q4 of this year. SO hopfully we'll have a really sweet GPU that can process a bundle load more then anything before! Not to mention, linked up with a Quad-Core CPU, that would just make for some seriously amazing gaming! :D

AMD plans to demo its quad-core server chips, expected to be commercialy available in 2007, in the middle of this year. AMD's goal is to show compatibility with its upcoming Socket F platform, which will be used by new dual-core models supporting DDR2 and virtualization technologies, among other features. AMD vice president Marty Seyer, told InformationWeek that solution providers will need only to flash the bios to run quad-core chips on Socket F motherboards.

Socket F?!? Whoa...

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=177104042

Socket F? We don't even have Socket AM2 out yet! I think AMD is plannign an all-out assualt against Intel. If Intel can't bring somethign new to the table quick, I think AMD will be the new monopoly in the processing world. :D

nah they still have to wait til 2007 for the socket F chip...intel will have something

Well, with Intel's current line up, and last years line up, Intel is definetly not performing so well in terms of performance and raw processing. AMD has the CPU market dominated with all sorts of processors, from the mobile to the hard core gaming and the dual-core. Intel has all those processors, but they lack the power to beat AMD's Athelon line up. They're using older technology, for instance, the netburst architecture. Not to mention, the quad-pumped FSB that the new "double-core" Pentium D uses actually doesn't allow the CPU to process all that fast.

Intel needs to release a new Socket, as well as a new architecture for it's processors. They should also adopt AMD's built in memory controller. This would further enchance their CPUs. Intel's prices are good, but I think if you compare it to AMD, then the price-to-performace ratio goes to AMD. I used to think that it was Intel who had the price-to-performance ratio won, but lately, after looking at the benchmarks and reading up on processr architectures, AMD has it made.

Intel needs a massive redo on their CPUs. The netburst architecture is dying, the quad-pumped FSB idea actually failed to utilize all the CPU. They just need to get their heads straight and focus on a CPU that gamers can use to really take advantage of gaming programs. Not to mention, they need a true dual core, not a "double-core". Either way, Intel has a long way to go if they want to reclaim the CPU thrown. :)

Back
Top Bottom