Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-21-2006, 08:55 PM   #1
G9
Daemon Poster

Default Quad Core's first arrivals!

I read somewhere in a Maximum PC article that quad core was coming soon, to both AMD and Intel platforms. Does anyone have article or official evidence of the exact release date, at least at the estimacy of a year?

G9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 09:03 PM   #2
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to JustinMcG67 Send a message via MSN to JustinMcG67 Send a message via Yahoo to JustinMcG67
Default Re: Quad Core Arrival Estimation

Sure. Here's a link to AMD's plans.

http://www.extremetech.com/slideshow...=153949,00.asp

Blade micro CPUs will be out in 07' along with DDR3 and PCI-Express II.

JustinMcG67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 09:12 PM   #3
G9
Daemon Poster

So I'm assuming 2007? Heh, it'll give me time to save my cash.

I'm planning on the Alienware MJ-12 line, with dual processor multi-core... only reason why I won't prebuild is the hot-swap chassis. At the current, it's $10k. A year or possibly more will give me enough time to save that up :P
G9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 09:15 PM   #4
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337DuD3
Sure. Here's a link to AMD's plans.

http://www.extremetech.com/slideshow...=153949,00.asp

Blade micro CPUs will be out in 07' along with DDR3 and PCI-Express II.
well this all confuzzles me so i'll just take the fast proccessors as they come to me.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:23 PM   #5
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to JustinMcG67 Send a message via MSN to JustinMcG67 Send a message via Yahoo to JustinMcG67

Well, right now the fastest CPU is the Athelon 64 FX-60. It's a powerhouse. I wrote a review on it if you want to read it. I also added a Pentium 955XE review in it as well. Check it out if you want to.

But it'll be interesting to see what this, "Blade PC," is. I think that will be the most interesting thing to see. Along with the Quad-Core CPUs, hopefully we'll be able to have 128-bit processors as well. Because 64-bit is already fast, but 128-bit will be downright insane!
Old 01-21-2006, 11:29 PM   #6
Baseband Member

I am a major gamer and so when i go off to college this fall im gonna take a decent computer that im gonna build its gonna be about $1000 with a $320 processor. At the current it that system will crush any games that i see out right now. The only thing i see that can really improve is the Athlon 64 FX60 or a GDDR3 graphics card instead off GDDR2. From the looks of it my computer is gonna be outdated in probably about 2 maybe 3 years with 128 bit processing,multicore, GDDR3 & 4 so i was wondering how long u think my computer will be able to handle good games like FEAR is now aka Unreal tournament 2007 and such? Just wondering what u guys think dont know if i rambled on too much in this.
Stinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 11:39 PM   #7
BSOD

GDDR3 is already out. GDDR4 I believe is out as well, only on one card though; the ATi Radeon X1800XT. Because in ATi's website they make mention of GDDR4 compatible, yet I haven't seen it for sale.

What I think you're referring to is DDR3, which hasn't come out yet. DDR RAM is your system memory, GDDR RAM is Graphics Double Data Rate RAM, you can't use GDDR style in your computer, you have to use DDR or DDR2 for right now.

But Dual-Cores are now the real big thing. The Athelon 64 X2 series processors are leading the way, with intel catching up at an alarming rate. AMD is winning right now when it comes to the Dual-Core race, but we soon expect to see intel launch a new chip boasting a better Dual-Core, or rather a true dual-core, because the Pentium D is not infact a Dual-Core, but rather a Double-Core. It uses two cores on a single processing package.

Anywho, if you want a next generation computer, get a dual core CPU, DDR2 RAM, a graphics card that uses PCI-Express and has 512MB GDDR3 RAM, along with a Socket T (LGA775), or wait for the new AM2 socket to come out. Also, CPUs will start to all be using the 65nm die, currently intel only uses the 65nm die on its processors, but AMD will soon be following.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:29 AM   #8
Daemon Poster

wtf? pce-e 2???? cant they fricken make one thing and stick to it, this is ridiculous for those of us who have to spend so much money on one card or cpu, only to find out that the cards are no good on the new stupid interface, thats idiotic.
Zaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 02:33 AM   #9
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to alvino

You won't need quad-core processors. They're purely for enterprise and corporate use such as servers and high-end workstations.
alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 02:53 AM   #10
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvino
You won't need quad-core processors. They're purely for enterprise and corporate use such as servers and high-end workstations.
unfortunately im in the high end workstation category, i wish i was a gamer, that way i could settle for just a ps3 or xbox 360....oh well

Zaki is offline   Reply With Quote