quad core over duo core duo ?

calvinw

Baseband Member
Intel has recently announced a price cut on all of their chip sets, I heard quad core chip sets are going to have a 40% off.

Is it worth getting a quad core over a duo core duo ?
Is it that much faster ?

And in regards to memory rams, Is there a significance difference upgrading to anything over 4gig ? I though window vista caps at 3.2 to 4 gig :/

It can and can't be better getting a quad over duo.
for example, a 3ghz duo will run faster than at 2.2ghz quad.
But if at equal speeds or slightly faster, the quad will win. It's really hard to explain..but search info on quads v duos.

Don't forget you not only have the speed but the cache too. Which is data stored in a little storage place so the computer doesn't have to travel as far to retrieve data, instead it goes to the cache then past the NB.

It depends on what OS you get. Vista Ultimate 32 bit can recognize up to 4gb whilst the 64bit version can hold anything above 4gb.

You won't really benefit much by getting over 4gb if your just a normal user or gamer.

thanks for the info, If I were to go for the duo it would be in the 3.06ghz. suppose quad core still seems to be expensive even with the price cut.

I am getting lots of hik up/ sometime slow responce at times, when ever I game with my laptop *2.4ghz duo core duo,4gig ram hd3450 ati.

And I was wondering If I needed more ram or not.

I think they equal out to be about the same. So, just go for whatever is more affordable.
jsk_0006.png

It depends, what are you going to do with your system? If you're gaming, are you going to put everything on full settings or normal etc?

In general, a faster duo will slaughter a slow quad. Even if it does have an extra 2 cores.

stratus, wtf is that pic? that's random lol

If you are gaming, its better to get a faster Dual Core, because games out right now most likely uses Dual Core, so a Quad will be a waste since it wont utilize the other 2 cores.
But if its for video and audio encoding and all those sorts, then a Quad core is better, because it has more threads so it process better, and faster, and it will utilize all four cores.
But if its for a normal day to day use, they are all good, since none of them is usually CPU intensive.
I would personally either save up for an i7, or get an Dual Core, it doesnt seem like its worth it getting an C2Q. But go for it if you want, its still a great processor. Thats my opinion

As for the RAM, you wouldnt notice much difference after 4GB of Ram, barely any programs out right now even needs more than 2GB.

I'd never recommend a dual core any more except if you're really on a budget, as quad cores have come way down in price and available at decent clock speeds. For example, the Phenom 9950 is only $160. So basically, if your budget is <$150, dual is the only option. >$150, quad all the way, even if it's mainly for gaming, I'd still recommend a quad.
It can and can't be better getting a quad over duo.
for example, a 3ghz duo will run faster than at 2.2ghz quad.
But if at equal speeds or slightly faster, the quad will win. It's really hard to explain..but search info on quads v duos.
There's a lot more to it than that. The number of threads the app runs has the biggest effect.

Back
Top Bottom