q9450 Overheating isuue

ppastorelli

Solid State Member
I have a q9450 running at stock speed, in a Cosmos 1000 case
the included heatsink/fan has those stupid pushpins, and i don't think it is touching the processor correctly.
I'm getting about 60 degrees celsius idling, and on heavy loads (3dmark06 cpu test) the computer shuts down
should i try to get the stock fan to work correctly or go for an aftermarket solution.
Any recommendations (something with screws, please)
thanks a lot

I have a q9450 running at stock speed, in a Cosmos 1000 case
the included heatsink/fan has those stupid pushpins, and i don't think it is touching the processor correctly.
I'm getting about 60 degrees celsius idling, and on heavy loads (3dmark06 cpu test) the computer shuts down
should i try to get the stock fan to work correctly or go for an aftermarket solution.
Any recommendations (something with screws, please)
thanks a lot

Try and re-seat your heatsync. I had a similar problem with a Q9550 - Idle Temps from cold where like 55... I didnt like it. So I re-seated, and it's cooled it down by like 10 degree's - Allthough that wasnt AMAZING.

I'd try and re-seat, and if that doesnt work, then try and get an after-market cooler, like: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/125308

I'm afraid of cracking the mobo, so i think im kinda not doing it strong enough
is the mobo really that strong?

The cooler is not seated correctly as the others have said, you'll probably have to replace the thermal compound now too. The board will handle the cooler installation if you have all of the risers in the correct positions, you may find it easier to install the cooler with the board out of the case if you are really worried about flex..

I'd try and re-seat, and if that doesnt work, then try and get an after-market cooler, like: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/125308
That cooler is not designed to be used on quads, see in the specs for Skt 775, it says Core2Duo not Core2Quad

There is a certain technique to properly securing push pins, this video shows you the exact way to do it.
Nice video, tried to rep you for posting it, need to spread it around lol.

@OP there are plenty of good coolers out there, Xigmatek, Tuniq, Thermalright, Zalman etc, if you do decide to go after market I'm sure we can find one to suit your budget.

The cooler is not seated correctly as the others have said, you'll probably have to replace the thermal paste now too. The board will handle the cooler installation if you have all of the risers in the correct positions, you may find it easier to install the cooler with the board out of the case if you are really worried about flex..

That cooler is not designed to be used on quads, see in the specs for Skt 775, it says Core2Duo not Core2Quad

Nice video, tried to rep you for posting it, need to spread it around lol.

@OP there are plenty of good coolers out there, Xigmatek, Tuniq, Thermalright, Zalman etc, if you do decide to go after market I'm sure we can find one to suit your budget.

Whoopsie! Wrong URL.

What difference is there?

have a look at the 9700NT in the specs it does say Core2Quad, the quads supposedly generate more heat, the older coolers were designed before quads arrived on the market

9700NT link

have a look at the 9700NT in the specs it does say Core2Quad, the quads supposedly generate more heat, the older coolers were designed before quads arrived on the market
I'd imagine, if you're not overclocking, that it would be find. I'd also imagine that an overclocked Q2D would generate MORE heat than a standard-clocked C2Q...

Without a doubt but the real point is why hobble your choices with a sub standard model, that'd be like putting a 100kph engine governer on a Lotus (exagerated for effect :D)

and also,
if you have a 780i you know what im talking about
when the pc starts up, the screen asks for F1 to be pressed or delete to go into setup
is there any way to skip this screen so that it starts up like other Hps or Dells?

Edit: in the BIOS system monitor, i got temps:

CPU 57 at startup, 73 after 2 min and 77 after 5 min
MCP 44 at startup, 56 after 2min and 60 after 5 min

Is that ok??

today i was able to finish 3dmark06
before, the computer would shut down during the 2nd cpu test
i set the cpu fan speed to 100% and now it got to 89 C during intense benchmarking
as im typing this, the cpu is at 50C

Back
Top Bottom