Q6600 on stock heatsink and fan.

I still think you're taking a risk using the stock cooler but that's your call.

Hopefully it doesn't overheat while you're asleep.

If you wish to keep that oc for 24/7 usage I still suggest you get a quality aftermarket cooler.

Good luck

I'm waiting for the 98XX series before upgrading my pc, I was going to buy a cheap 8800GT for the other (P5K) pc in the mean time.

At present my P5K is sitting in a case with with 4GB of ram, a WD Raptor, Zalman 9700 etc just waiting for a cpu and video card, so an upgrade for the cpu and a new video card is required. It's driving me nutty having it sitting there not running so I'm getting to the stage of "throwing caution to the wind" and risking the wrath of "her we ignore at our own peril" (the Mrs) and just buying the bloody parts, trouble is I've been waiting to see what the pricing of the 45nm cpus (Q9XXX and E8XXX) is like and the release of the 98XX series videos cards (for the same reason)
I have heard that the 9800 series are just revised G92s. Will they really offer big performance leaps over the 8800GT and 8800GTS G92? And you can pick up an 8800GT for quite cheap ATM.

It's all a bit "wait and see" with the 98XX I'm afraid, there's lots of speculation and very little fact flying around at the moment.

Well I ran Prime95 for over 20 hours and no errors. I checked temps in morning and they were still at 67C. I did hit 70C every hour or so for about 10min and hit 71C like 5 times for no longer than 1 minute. I will reduce my OC to 2.9Ghz. Should that reduce my heat so it doesn't get too high or should I go 2.8Ghz? I will probably just buy the thermalright ultra 120 extreme.

Quick question though, My 9600GT is running on this computer ALOT better than it did on my old X2 4200+(UT3 had to run on low settings for no skips). Is it going to be as good as it gets on this computer running at 2.8Ghz? Or will it run a bit better on a 3.2Ghz OC with aftermarket cooler? (before OC I had default setting(detail at 3/5) and it ran smooth)

I am just wondering how much advantages I will see with a higher OC. My main game that I play is UT3 and it takes advantage of 4 cores. Can I get a little bit higher detail and running smooth with a higher OC? Also what does Vsync do? I always have it disabled in UT3.

I recommend you buy an aftermarket cooler to get the full potential of your CPU. You can pick up a deceny one for quite cheap. The two I recommend are the AC Freezer 7 PRO and the OCZ Vendetta: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835202005&Tpk=OCZ+vendetta
I have the OCZ Vendetta and I'm pushing 3.5GHz. You will still be able to play all your games with a 2.8GHz Q6600 but if you want to release it's true potential then you need an aftermarket cooler. Vsync eliminates "tear" (try quickly moving the camera from side to side whilst in a game with Vsync off) although it also limits your frame rate to your monitors resolution which is no real disadvantage as you won't notice anything over 75FPS. I prefer it on, but some people prefer to get 200FPS and have the annoying tear. I find TES: Oblivion where you notice it the most.

I wouldnt risk it. Lower back to 2.4ghz, and get yourself an after market cooler, like the 9700.
You would be doing damage in the long run.

Yeah I am back on auto but that speed step thing is still on. Only under full load I get 2.4Ghz. Is that normal?

I have that switched off in the BIOS though. I found that it made simple tasks slightly slower to perform because it didn't switch over until you were doing something quite taskly.

Back
Top Bottom