Q6600 OCed @ 2.8Ghz, CPU Temps around 60*C

I think the over heat protection kicked in.

Don't raise the voltage, especially on stock.

and I got mine to 3.0 ghz all stock no temp changes, idle 32 gaming/stressed 45

I wasn't aware of the fact that I was "raising" the temperature. See my thread titled "PCMarkO-SH*T"... I was trying out a setup that was suggested by one of the members on the forum.

And also, what are your thoughts of my tests? See the pictures above.

Should I go back to 2.8ghz even if the temperatures almost hit 70*?

I think the over heat protection kicked in.

Don't raise the voltage, especially on stock.

and I got mine to 3.0 ghz all stock no temp changes, idle 32 gaming/stressed 45
What a load of rubbish, he would have been lowering the voltage from what the Auto setting was supplying, just went a little too low.

@ GhostGT try the next increment up, if it fails try the next one, you can't hurt your cpu by undervolting and these chips are rated to 1.5v, hell I've had mine higher than that.

What m/board are you running btw? Sounds like an Asus but I'm not sure.

Can you d/load CPU-z and show me screen shots of :

a/. the m/board tab

b/. the Memory Tab

c/. the SPD tab

What a load of rubbish, he would have been lowering the voltage from what the Auto setting was supplying, just went a little too low.

@ GhostGT try the next increment up, if it fails try the next one, you can't hurt your cpu by undervolting and these chips are rated to 1.5v, hell I've had mine higher than that.

What m/board are you running btw?

ASUS P5K-E.

So instead of 1.125, go for something like 1.150 or 1.175? I hope this doesn't backfire on me. -_-

put your voltages at stock
then raise up the fsb

That's what I originally did, and it yielded the temperatures you see in my posts above (apprx. 69* max)

It was mentioned that lowering the voltage can lower temperatures.

@ esa193

His problem is too much heat with a stock cooler, by lowering the voltage (and thus reducing the heat output) he should get better temps with his minor overclock.

With that board Ghost go to the bios vcore setting, type in 1.125 them use shift + to raise the voltage one increment.

Check out the other thread True.

And as far as raising voltage, its a menu full of values. I can just use the next one. But check out my screenshots.

coretempscreeny.jpg

cpuzscreeny4.jpg

cpuzscreeny3.jpg

cpuzscreeny2.jpg

cpuzscreeny.jpg

Copied over from thread

Cool, thanks for that.

OK first up, the VID in the coretemp screenie, the factory voltage recommended for your cpu 1.2625v (mine is 1.25v, apparently the higher the VID the higher the oc potential, I say apparently because I haven't had a second Q6600 to test with)

CoreTemp reads from the cpu diode for temps and is the most accurate at present for Quad cpus so those are youur "true" temps (about right for a stock cooler, maybe a little high)

That's a healthy overclock on your memory there, you have it running at 1066MHz good timings.

Is your vcore back to auto to give you that reading?? (1.152v)

Yes, I set everything back to auto. Also, ASUS's AIBoost or NOSBOOST or w/e they call it has been enabled. It "tweaks" the system based on the needs of whatever you're running.

Question: Have you selected your ram speed in the bios manually? (divider) or is it auto? (linked)

Here's a record of my overclocking with a P5K vanilla

Remember these were done with a Zalman 9700NT cooler but you should be fine up to 3.0GHz on a stock cooler, just keep an eye on your temps. The memory was Kingston HyperX DDR2 PC2 6400.

Try your 2.8GHz overclock with 1.2v vcore

ocingtn1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom