Q6600 OCed @ 2.8Ghz, CPU Temps around 60*C

GhostGT

Daemon Poster
As some of you know already, I overclocked my computer last night. The Q6600 runs at 2.4Ghz, and I raised it to 2.8Ghz.

No other changes, no extra mods.

Then I went ahead and used a program called "CPU Stability Test" that basically stresses the CPU to 100% and checks how stable the system is at its current setup.

Before the test, my OC @ 2.8Ghz temperatures were as follows:

CPU: 29*
Core 1: 46*
Core 2: 44*
Core 3: 40*
Core 4: 42*

After 20 minutes of the stress test, temperatures changed to:

CPU: Didn't write down :mad:
Core 1: 62*
Core 2: 61*
Core 3: 57*
Core 4: 58*

This kinda worried me, especially since I was thinking about OCing to 3.0Ghz today after I got home. Not a problem at all, but can someone offer some advice on this? Are these temperatures to worry about at my current OC state? Considering the fact that the computer never STAYS at 100% usage at any given point for a long time, how should I proceed? Stay at 2.8? Try 3.0? Maybe go BACK to 2.4 and do the Stability Test and compare results?

I'm actually pretty excited about overclocking, and would look forward to buying an aftermarket heatsink/cooler. However, the installation of that would worry me. I wonder what other cooling alternatives there are.

Chris

Update: Playing WoW gets the temps to about 60* also. I'm gonna go ahead and do another stress test, this time a little longer.

Cryman, I went ahead and did the Everest stress test just now, too.

Check out the results:

Untitled7-1.jpg

Untitled8-1.jpg

yer there good temps .are you using stock cooling.

gtg to school now . ill check back with u later

yer there good temps .are you using stock cooling

Yes, completely stock.

They're good temps? Really? That 69*C scared the sh*t out of me. Should I consider keeping the system OC @ 2.8Ghz? I'm gonna go ahead and return to the stock 2.4GHz and run another stability test to compare results. 3.0Ghz is something i'd like to try, but I might have to get a new heatsink for that.

Alright, back to stock 2.4Ghz.

Results:

Untitled9.jpg

Untitled10.jpg

Looks like the temps are on average 10* cooler.

bump for any suggestions as to what I do. -_-

I hope installing a new heatsink is easy because i'm sure considering it now. :)

Well, this was fun.

I just went ahead and overclocked to 2.8Ghz again, and set the cpu voltage to 1.125 volts.

:confused: :confused:

computer restarted but monitor didn't come on...nothing happened. I turned it off manually and turned it back on again, at which point power cut off for a few seconds, then came back on again. Message before BIOS screen stated that "OVERCLOCK FAILED!"

Wtf happened? lol

I think the over heat protection kicked in.

Don't raise the voltage, especially on stock.

and I got mine to 3.0 ghz all stock no temp changes, idle 32 gaming/stressed 45

Back
Top Bottom