Q6600 now at 3.6GHZ and stable!

Kage

Golden Master
I decided to make a new thread because I'm pretty happy about this.

I started off with a basic Quad Core Q6600, with a Zalman 9700. You can read my specs to see what I have.

My first step was to overclock it to 3.0ghz. Easy.
Second was to overclock it to 3.2, again, very easy (I didn't even have to up the voltages).

Well today, I played around again, and I successfully have the Quad running at :

3.6GHZ!!!

I just put the FSB to 400, with a multiplier of 9, so that the RAM would be running in complete sync, at 800mhz 1:1 ratio.

I also had to raise the voltages to 1.5 at the moment, but I'm not worried. Not yet anyway.
Im going to try and step this down slowly now, until it blue screens on me, so I know the minimum voltage I have to run to achieve this rate.

Temps you ask?
Well, 11 mins running the Stability Test on Everest for , we have Core Temp showing:

66,67,60,66 degrees C.

I think thats managable for such a high overclock, and the fact its running a test using all 4 cores at strenuous rates.

Idle, its around 39,37,35,38 with no speed step on, etc.

But we'll see how low I can get this.

I should also note, that my 9700 is running at almost its minimum fan speed:
1680RPM, about a quarter on.

I'm happy :D

RAM:

The only thing I could do now, is overclock the RAM, but I'm sure I'd have more trouble doing this.

Would the RAM actually be running slower at 1:1:25, or 1:1:50 at a faster speed? Like wasted energy? Or would I be getting a boost even though its not running in sync? :)

Yeah, and temps aren't too bad either considering, especially since it was being pushed :)
Plus, I'm not having to pump the fan on full. Its still a very quiet PC in retrospect to my old one running a 3500+ with a Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 PRO running at stock!

If u would to get the "Thermalright SI-120 cooler" u will prob get much better temps.

Yeah, but I believe 3.6GHZ is enough :p

I'm going to restart now, and ever so slowly push the voltages down. I don't think I'll get too far, but I may get it down 2 or 3 steps if I'm lucky.

Wish me luck!

Thanks, haha.

First step. Now at 1.4875v (gone down one more)

Stable so far.

Temps haven't changed much, if at all. Still reaching around the same figure.

RAM:

I tried setting to an 8x multiplier, and went to 450mhz to achieve the same 3.6GHZ overclock, but setting the RAM to run at 1:1 at 900mhz. Didn't even start up, but maybe thats because of the RAM volts.

EDIT:

Same 1.4875v's

But, its now at 450mhz, 8x multiplier, giving it 3.6GHZ, with RAM at 900MHZ, 1:1 timing, with relaxed timings of 5,5,5,18 (Shouldn't make much difference)

Temps have dropped slightly, but, should I be worried about the PWM?

Running Everest for 4 minutes, PWM temp is 67 degrees C.

My Abit board, has set a high limit of 80 degrees C.

Your lucky, mine isn't even wanting to go to 3.0ghz without prime 95 errors. I'm going to run ntune and let ntune do what it wants.

Back
Top Bottom