Putting your OS on a new SSD

kevinmuff

Solid State Member
I have a pc with a old 1tb HDD in it. There is nothing wrong with it i am just trying to boost performance by moving my OS over to a new SSD, which i havent purchased yet, im trying to find out if this will work or not before i buy it. If i just put the new SSD into my pc, am i able to just install windows into that "partition", which would be the SSD, and then just boot up on that and delete the windows partition on my HDD? Or would that not work? How should i go about this?
My computer is a alienware aurora, i have a disk from alienware titled "Microsoft windows 7 home premium 64 bit". But then also on the disk it says "The software included on this recovery DVD ROM was preinstalled on your hard drive at the factory and may only be used for backup and recovery of your alienware computer system, this DVD is not for re installation of programs or drivers".
When i insert the disk, it seems like i would be able to install windows on any partition i would like.

Edit: also, i do believe my computer would be SATA II, and the SSD i want is SATA III. I hear it should be backwards compatible to SATA II, but would it still perform well?

you can run the OS on your SSD and then still keep the other drive

As far as I know sata III will work on sata II connections, but you wont get the extra speed of the sata III

If the Windows disc is a Windows installation disc, you will be able to install Win 7 on the SSD, no problems, and use the HDD for storage/smaller programs that won't see any massive increase in speed with an SSD.

And you are correct to say that SATA3 and SATA6 interfaces are the same, you won't be seeing a bottleneck created with SATA3 interface either unless you get a drive that has over ~285MB/s transfer speeds, but even if it is greater and you are only getting 3Gb/s, that is still extremely fast, especially when compared to a standard HDD

You could ghost your current hard drive using Acronis True Image and then just transfer it over to the new SSD and you'll be good to go. You can then format/partition your 1tb drive however you like and use it for storage.

Back
Top Bottom