puttin windows from one hdd to another

trance565

Daemon Poster
hey, ima get a new hdd soon, cuz min is dying i think, anyways, i was wondering how i should transfer everything, should i hook it up to the comp, and just drag ALL the files from C drive to it? or would that not work?I kinda need to transfer windows when i transfer everything that's why im asking

heres what I'd do, install the new hdd in the comp, format, partition, etc...and install xp. then install the old hdd as a slave in the computer, then just drag and drop all the files you want from the old one to the new one.

i dont have legit ver of XP, some guy had to use his cd, and my cd key from my old compaq .. so i cant do that, can i just transfer all the OS files along with evthign else? im prolly gonna get it replaced since it's still under warranty, so i was just wondering if i could get that done, since ima return it to BB

You can just put in the hdd and then use the files from there cant you just set that as the boot drive? you might need to activate windows xp again though

You can use Norton Ghost or other image programs to do that.

Copy the Operating system and everything else from one HDD over to another computer probably will not work because of driver and motherboard issues. Second if it does work, (Windows is able to load adequate new drivers to get up and running) then you will probably still have major problems with conflicts, and other driver errors left over. I would suggest loading the other computer from scratch.

well, my hdd is dying, das y so ima get a new one, to hook up to my same comp, just wondering if i could xfer win xp when i xfer everything since i dont have a copy of XP to install onto the new hdd

Back
Top Bottom