PSU Question

Teny

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
So now I am back to step one on finding a PSU.I was going to get the recertified GameXStream 600W from Micro Center, but I was told "OCZ gamexstream/silentxstream series above 500w suffer from ripple issues, and somewhat poor voltage regulation, as they are FSP epsilon builds. " So I don't think I am going to get it anymore, especially since it's recertified.
The StealthXStream looks good, but I was told it's not good to use it on an 8800GT SLI build.

What's a good/reliable site that will tell me what's the most power I need (100% peak load)?
eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5 said I need 339W, and Newegg PSU Calculator said I need 536W (I chose 9800GT as a replacement because they didn't lost the 8800GT for some reason. Which one is more valid? or is there another site that will tell be a more accurate data?

So now I am back to step one on finding a PSU.I was going to get the recertified GameXStream 600W from Micro Center, but I was told "OCZ gamexstream/silentxstream series above 500w suffer from ripple issues, and somewhat poor voltage regulation, as they are FSP epsilon builds. " So I don't think I am going to get it anymore, especially since it's recertified.
The StealthXStream looks good, but I was told it's not good to use it on an 8800GT SLI build.

What's a good/reliable site that will tell me what's the most power I need (100% peak load)?
eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5 said I need 339W, and Newegg PSU Calculator said I need 536W (I chose 9800GT as a replacement because they didn't lost the 8800GT for some reason. Which one is more valid? or is there another site that will tell be a more accurate data?

I've always found that the Newegg one gives overinflated results which really makes sense if you think about it, Newegg sells psus, so basically they want you to buy a higher wattage/priced psu...

a good 650w psu will run you at least $70 atm, as you have shown with your researching above you know the drill when it comes to psus, the cheapest decent psu I found is the Antec 650w Earthwatts, it's $79 shipped, but with this promo code (EMCYPYX48) it's $69, other decent psus will be more expensive but may be better quality...

Should I just round up the watts eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5 gave me then(400W)?

I was thinking of getting the CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX, looks like a nice PSU for $80 ($70 after rebate). However, I don't know if 550W will be good with this set up

Intel C2D E7200 @3.04GHz (Maybe a C2Q later on, know it's not worth it anymore, but it's just cheaper)
XFX 680i LT SLI Motherboard
4 x 1GB DDR2 Corsair XMS2 DHX
8800GT SLI
1 120GB SATA HDD
1 200GB SATA HDD
1 CD/DVD Burner
6 (2 LED) 120mm fans
USB Mouse/Keyboard
USB Wireless adapter
USB external HDD (not connected most of the time)

I'm thinking of going back to the 690 for better airflow, but not sure if I should dish out $90 + $20 shipping for the NV690. I like how it has an transparent side panel, it's green, and would match my SLI setup.

Should I just round up the watts eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5 gave me then(400W)?

I was thinking of getting the CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX, looks like a nice PSU for $80 ($70 after rebate). However, I don't know if 550W will be good with this set up

Intel C2D E7200 @3.04GHz (Maybe a C2Q later on, know it's not worth it anymore, but it's just cheaper)
XFX 680i LT SLI Motherboard
4 x 1GB DDR2 Corsair XMS2 DHX
8800GT SLI
1 120GB SATA HDD
1 200GB SATA HDD
1 CD/DVD Burner
6 (2 LED) 120mm fans
USB Mouse/Keyboard
USB Wireless adapter
USB external HDD (not connected most of the time)

I'm thinking of going back to the 690 for better airflow, but not sure if I should dish out $90 + $20 shipping for the NV690. I like how it has an transparent side panel, it's green, and would match my SLI setup.

the Earthwatts is cheaper but the Corsair is probably better quality, either should be enough for your system, the CMStore has the NV690 for less, it's a refurb, but most of the time refurbs are just returned products that can't be sold as new because the box has been opened, every refurb product I've ever bought looked brand new and worked fine...

the CMStore is full of great deals, just click on "view all products" and the refurb/sale stuff will show up with red prices, like these green LED 120mm case fans for $6.99...

What I like about the Corsair PSU is that it's a single rail. The Earthwatts is only $16 (promo + ship) cheaper. However, it will only be $6 cheaper after I get my rebate back. Though having a 650W would be nice for future proofing, but I doubt I will upgrade what I listed above for at least a year.

Great find on the CM stuff, I'm just going to go with them, shipping is cheaper too. Do you know if the refurbished case will give me the 3 original fans that came with it? I'll also be buying a couple of those green LED fans since the only LED fan with the case is the front one, and that kinda defeats the purpose of transparent side if you can barely see inside.

What I like about the Corsair PSU is that it's a single rail. The Earthwatts is only $16 (promo + ship) cheaper. However, it will only be $6 cheaper after I get my rebate back. Though having a 650W would be nice for future proofing, but I doubt I will upgrade what I listed above for at least a year.

Great find on the CM stuff, I'm just going to go with them, shipping is cheaper too. Do you know if the refurbished case will give me the 3 original fans that came with it? I'll also be buying a couple of those green LED fans since the only LED fan with the case is the front one, and that kinda defeats the purpose of transparent side if you can barely see inside.

IIRC it comes with the front LED fan and the rear fan, so it comes with one less fan than the Newegg one, but buying the other LED fans would fix that, add to the cooling and still probably end up cheaper than the Newegg case, I'm getting 3 of the blue LED fans for my Antec 300 though I may need grills for the front two because the Tri Cools I have in there push up against both SATA cables of the hdds, but the Tri Cools have a pseudo plastic grill on the out blowing face...

Well, I probably might take the side fan out anyways.
Do you know how well the OCZ Vendetta 2 will fit in that case? I can't put it sideways (fan blowing up) because of the height of my XMS DHS RAM, so I have to put it the normal way (fan blowing the the back exhaust). I'm wondering if I can put it that way and still be able to put the side fan.
I was told it was really similar to the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283, so I will be getting the retention bracket also (XIGMATEK ACK-I5361).

Doesn't grills slow down airflow, but reduce dust? Think they will be good for the intake fans?

Back
Top Bottom