Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-22-2005, 06:10 PM   #1
Beta Member
Default PSU Problems?

I just installed a new PSU. The one I had before was only 300w, and it wasnt enough for my new case, and some of the stuff I was gonna be throwing in. I replaced the stock with this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817148008 and since the install earlier this afternoon, Ive noticed that when I play World of Warcraft, everything freezes up, and I have to restart the PC. Could this be a problem with the PSU?

I made sure that I disconnected everything correctly, and as I disconnected each plug from the old PSU, I replaced it with the corresponding plug to the new PSU. I cant think of anything I did wrong. I was static free, and did the work on my dining room table, so it was a clean area.

Is there anything I can do to make sure that everything is working properly? Could I be putting too much or too little power to my system?

These are the 2 different voltage readings I get with SpeedFan. The first one (lower voltage) was before I started playing WoW, the second is the current, and after WoW froze up, I restarted it straight from the PSU switch. I was playing after it was pumping out the 15.94v, and it just froze up on me again. Before changing the PSU I had no problems.

megamanfre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 07:10 PM   #2
Default Re: PSU Problems?

It looks like your 12v power is fluctuating pretty far (+/- 3v). The PSU is probably bad.

catalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 09:04 PM   #3
Beta Member

Well, I swapped out the PSU for the old one that I had no problems with, and it was running fine. Thought I was in the clear, and could just return the new one to Newegg. Nope. About half hour into playing, it froze up again. I restarted, and about 5 minutes into the game it froze again. Restarted, 5 minutes later freeze up.

Could the PSU be bad, and have caused problems with the motherboard?

Either way, Im exchanging the PSU (any recommendations as to some reliable brands and models under $100?) for another one.

Is there any way to test if the motherboard is damaged?
Old 09-22-2005, 10:01 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

the only test do see if the MOBO(motherboard) is damaged is the beep codes when your computer starts. are you getting any weird beebs?
CPU-Intel Pentium 4 630 3.0Ghz / 2MB Cache ~~OS Windows XP SP2
MOBO-Gigabyte 8I915P Duo Pro Intel Socket 775 (PCI-E)~~HDD-Western Digital 160GB(SATA)
PSU-Aspire 500W ATX~~RAM-1GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (512x2 Dual Channel)
GPU-MSI GeForce 6600 GT(PCI Express)~~Monitor Viewsonic VA902B 19" 8ms~~ ATI TV Wonder Pro (TV Tuner)
~~Still to come~~: eVGA e-GeForce 7800 GT
Dishdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 11:14 PM   #5
Beta Member

Im not getting any kind of beeps when I start. Seems like thats the only normal thing going on =0\