PSU or Optical drives?

lhuser

Golden Master
Okay, Lately, any CD I load to my PC, wether it sits in the LG drive or the Generic 52X CD drive, it will freese, lock upa dn at some points, won't pick up. The CD drive will make the PC freese and the DVD drive will see it as blank and take ages to load. Last time, the mouse stalled.

Now, I remember switching the failing 12V 430W Antec Truepower as the motherboard was recieving 8-10V and the hard drives randomly quitting if the wires are misplaced.

This one is a Coolmax 400W PSU. It has a 120mm fan cooling. Now, am I overloading it with these specs? I tried a calculator but the way they do it, it seems that they don't use right wattage.

ASUS P4S800D-X
Intel Pentium 4 800FSB 3.0GHZ
9x80mm fans (Some uses the 4 molex connector in two fans and some uses the 4 molex connector with 3 fans)
160GB Maxtor HDD
10.2GB Fujitsu HDD
LG GSA-4163B DVD-RAM
Afreey 52X CD drive (Sometimes, it detects itself as AS-50X or something like that)
1GB DDR400 Dual Channel
Geforce FX5200

Should I put back the 430W in there if the wattage is too low?

You have 9x80mm fans? LOL....I need a pic of 9 fans in your case.

Forget the 430 watt, I'd go with something like 500-550w with all that stuff you have.

dude, yea i wanna see a pic too, but you should not hook all those fans up.

just run it without any of the case fans, and see if it still does that.

9 80mm is way overkill

LambOfGod said:
dude, yea i wanna see a pic too, but you should not hook all those fans up.

just run it without any of the case fans, and see if it still does that.

9 80mm is way overkill

Did you try this yet?

and its actually pretty clean looking from the outside.

i bet the wiring is a rats nest though, cuz you really didnt show a pic of that.

err, no. It ain't a rat's nest, trust me. A bit crowded where the CD drives are, but the rest is fairly clean. These 9x80mm fans are cooling a Prescott as low as 36C. Oh well, I know myself that a 400W is low for that. I'll most likely be offered a job because I've applied to lots of places and if I don't get any of them, then there's a problem. Next, as soon as money comes in, that 465W is mine.

I had a similar problem like this a few days ago, but it only happened if you put a disc in it and tried to explore the disk, where you would have to restart the explorer.exe process. I would try a different disk drive to see if that would fix it, because they are alot cheaper to replace.

Back
Top Bottom