Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-10-2009, 02:05 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default PSU installation problem

I have an Advent PQD5002 PC - http://www.reevoo.com/reviews/mpn/advent/pqd5002

and recently bought a Jeantech Storm 700w PSU -
http://jeantech.com/storm.htm

... so that I can install a new graphics card. I tried installing it myself as I thought it couldn't be too hard but there are lots of different connections and when I thought I had it right the monitor had no signal... It is compatible right?

I am no computer whizz but surely it can't be too hard. There are no instructions as to what wires go where, and I thought I would ask if anyone has any advice before I pay for somewhere to fit it for me.

I am lost!

Aaron D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: PSU installation problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron D View Post
I have an Advent PQD5002 PC - http://www.reevoo.com/reviews/mpn/advent/pqd5002

and recently bought a Jeantech Storm 700w PSU -
http://jeantech.com/storm.htm

... so that I can install a new graphics card. I tried installing it myself as I thought it couldn't be too hard but there are lots of different connections and when I thought I had it right the monitor had no signal... It is compatible right?

I am no computer whizz but surely it can't be too hard. There are no instructions as to what wires go where, and I thought I would ask if anyone has any advice before I pay for somewhere to fit it for me.

I am lost!
does the graphics card have a 6 pin power connection on it...? the psu should have a few 6 pin power plugs for a video card, I haven't heard of Jeantech, but even a crappy 700w should have at least one 6 pin PCI-E connector...

MY INTARDNET BEAST ■ Antec 300 ■ Q6600 B3, 2.8GHz @ 1.325v ■ MSI X48C Platinum ■ Kingwin XT-1264 ■ Visiontek HD 4870 512MB ■ 4x1GB Transcend aXeRam DDR3-1800 @ 1400MHz ■ WD Raptor (160GB) ■ Western Digital (250GB) ■ Samsung (640GB) ■ Seagate (500GB) ■ WD Caviar Green (1TB) ■ OCZ ProXStream 1kw ■ Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ■ JVC HA RX900 ■

ME ■ I am bald and my head is lumpy...fear me ■
wol-va-rine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wol-va-rine View Post
does the graphics card have a 6 pin power connection on it...? the psu should have a few 6 pin power plugs for a video card, I haven't heard of Jeantech, but even a crappy 700w should have at least one 6 pin PCI-E connector...
Yeah my CORSAIR TX850W had like 6 PCI-E connectors lol; of which I am using NONE until I get my GPUs in >_>

Make sure you have both power connectors connected to the motherboard (should be a really big one, usually on the right side, and a 4pin connector near the upper left)... if you forget the 4pin connector, it won't boot.
Computear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:12 PM   #4
Beta Member

I haven't yet tried to install the graphics card as I wanted to get the PSU working first. I have the 24 pin power connector and the 8 pin connector sorted, and left there are:

S-ATA connections, 4 pin peripheral connections and 6 pin PCI - E connections.

Which ones do I connect to my hard drive and DVD drive?

With my old PSU there was one connection for each thing but with this one there is just a crap load of wires everywhere!

I've just read my first post again and it sounds like I am having problems with the graphics card...

It is the power supply I am having trouble with, apologies for my english.

All sorted. I attached the 24 pin and 8 pin to the motherboard to check that it was working ok, then connected the other bits.

Some decent graphics for a change now!

Thanks for the help people.
Aaron D is offline   Reply With Quote