Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #11
Solid State Member

Default Re: PSU installation didn't go well

Think I found them, just double checked each plug, still no go.

Do you also think there might have been a problem with the way I was treating the PSU (constantly flipping the on/off switch?)

Thanks for the constant help by the way

WOAH, after double checking everything, putting the new PSU back in, my comp is starting up again for 2 seconds! what should I do now? Should I just double check everything and try again, thats what I did last time, and thats what ended up in my dead computer

poochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:13 AM   #12
Fully Optimized

You could try this little guide i often recommend, seems relevant since a new PSU brought about your problems.

Power Supply Test - How Do I Test the Power Supply in My Computer? - PSU Test

Old 05-21-2011, 10:45 AM   #13
Solid State Member

I don't have any of those tools on me ATM, and I'm trying to fix this ASAP! I feel so close! D:
Old 05-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #14
Solid State Member

Update: I'm not really sure how but I got it to work. It was the a skinny 4 pin connector this whole time, my mobo was never fried. I searched online and supposedly its a floppy connector O_O but it's the one that changes everything.

If it's not plugged in, nothing happens when I press the switch
I only know one place it can be plugged in, it's this 12 pin grid.. each column or two is differently color coded. 2 rows, 6 columns. I tried putting it into a bunch of different grid positions, it didn't turn on, this one position puts the fan on very high, but it doesn't boot up. If I flip the switch on/off, it still does this constantly.
One specific spot turns on the computer on and everything, ODD though, if I turn the switch off, and then put everything back together, flip the I/O switch back on, nothing happens. I have to change the position, and then put it back to that certain spot where the computer boots up.

So what I did was put it back to that special position, close everything up, and turn on the computer, it's on! hooray! Now the only problem is my HD4850 isn't working, I just installed the new drivers and such, but when I plug the VGA in, nothing is displayed and the monitor goes to sleep. I left my room to go out so I'll be back in a few hours, hopefully the computer is still on, and hopefully not on fire lol. But hopefully I can get this video card problem figured out, hopefully it's not because my PSU isn't powerful enough, I put the 6pin PCI-E connector into the card as well. I'm just happy my computer works, it's running off of my integrated video card right now, if all else fails, I guess I could just put my GT220 back in there and return my HD4850 (EVEN THOUGH I GOT IT FOR $40 AFTER REBATE UGH)... I don't know if I really need to keep the PSU though.. but whatever.