Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-21-2011, 01:40 AM   #1
Solid State Member

Default PSU installation didn't go well

Hey everyone, new here, just made an account because I'm in desperate need of help! I also don't think I have any friends who have ever build a PC. Anyways, I bought a new video card today, as well as a PSU to support it. Got an Antec Earthwatts 380W. It was my first time installing a PSU, unfortunately I did not take any pictures of the before set up.

SO I set up the PSU, it would only boot up for 2 seconds, didn't work, flipped the switch off, kept trying. Then I went and unplugged everything, flipped the switch after I plugged things in, after about 10 more tries I finally got it to boot for longer than 2 seconds! I heard it beep and everything was going dandy, I flipped the switch back off, tried it again, just stopped working. I didn't even get to put my new video card in yet. I keep trying and trying but the PSU isn't working, I then just put in my old PSU (hopefully I did it right) and it's not turning on either! FUDGE, did I fry my motherboard or something? Man, this is possibly the worst day ever -_-.

poochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:51 AM   #2
7D8
In Runtime

Default Re: PSU installation didn't go well

380W sounds low. what does the vid card need?

7D8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:58 AM   #3
Solid State Member

Newégg says 450. That's besides the point. This psu was recommended by another owner of the video card, plus I don't even havé the video card plugged in and it still doesn't Work
Old 05-21-2011, 02:17 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

That other owner might not have the same setup as you. Everything in the case needs power, not just the GPU.

Your setup might draw alotta' Watts and your PSU isn't delivering. If you put the old PSU back in, does it work?

IT definately sounds like it's not getting enough power.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:19 AM   #5
Solid State Member

My old PSU is 300W, and thats not working anymore either. And yeah I know we don't have the same setups, but I don't have anything special other than just a video card, which isn't even plugged in right now. I just want to get my computer booted but nothing will work :\. I tried readjusting the ram too
Old 05-21-2011, 02:28 AM   #6
Fully Optimized

Are you sure it's all properly connected, and none of the connectors are loose or anything? If any connectors are near any conductive (not grounded) metal parts, it could be arcing after a few seconds and shorting out.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:44 AM   #7
Solid State Member

I'll try some more when I wake up. I'm really too depressed to do anything right now. I doubt it would be that because that would at least boot up for a second right? (I'm not sure), but the current state of my computer is dead. No lights, no nothing. doesn't even boot up for .01 seconds anymore.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:56 AM   #8
Fully Optimized

1. Processor Power (4+4 pin), Mobo Power (20+4pin) definately plugged and clipped in properly

2. 'Power' button is actually connected to the F.Panel jumpers (Trivial and stupid i know, but not checking the jumpers can be FAT4L.)
Old 05-21-2011, 09:45 AM   #9
Solid State Member

I can only find 1 4pin for the power on my board, it's about 3 years old. and I'm sure the mother board pins are plugged in right.

I have no idea what you mean about number 2 though
Old 05-21-2011, 09:58 AM   #10
Fully Optimized

The power button on the front of the case has a twisted wire that connects it to the motherboard, if this wire is loose the signal may not be getting through for it to start up.

~Darkseeker~ is offline   Reply With Quote