Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-05-2009, 12:34 AM   #1
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 13
Default PSU or Graphics card? Kind of new!

Well I went out on a limb today and opened up my Gateway Comp. The problem im having is... when i hit the power button on the front of tower the blue light comes on but none of the fans or hard drive kicks on. I called a few Repair shops and they told me it was most likely PSU. Well I was just messing around and took the Graphics card out which is a geforce 8500 GT, when the card is out and I hit the power everything fires up...put the card back in and nothing! Im guessing the problem is the graphics card but i want to be 100% certain. Also when the card is in the fan on it almost sits ONTOP of the video card, that seems a little odd to me? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
__________________

dmaleck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:36 AM   #2
Daemon Poster
 
Computear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: US
Posts: 675
Default Re: PSU or Graphics card? Kind of new!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaleck1 View Post
Well I went out on a limb today and opened up my Gateway Comp. The problem im having is... when i hit the power button on the front of tower the blue light comes on but none of the fans or hard drive kicks on. I called a few Repair shops and they told me it was most likely PSU. Well I was just messing around and took the Graphics card out which is a geforce 8500 GT, when the card is out and I hit the power everything fires up...put the card back in and nothing! Im guessing the problem is the graphics card but i want to be 100% certain. Also when the card is in the fan on it almost sits ONTOP of the video card, that seems a little odd to me? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
When you hit the power button and "everything fires up" does it load into Windows & everything with no problems?

If so, either your PSU doesn't have enough power with the GPU in (which is unlikely if this is a problem that just recently occured) or it is indeed your GPU.
__________________

__________________
Laptop: Dell XPS 17 | i5-2450M @ 2.5GHz | 6144MB RAM | GeForce GT 550M
Desktop:
HAF 932 Advanced | i5-3750k @ 4.4GHz | CORSAIR H100 | ASUS P8Z77-V | EVGA GTX 680 2GB | 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 @ 1600 | MUSHKIN 240GB SSD | WD 500GB 7200RPM HDD
Computear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 12:42 AM   #3
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 13
Default Re: PSU or Graphics card? Kind of new!

Thanks for the fast reply, Sorry I left that part out. When the GPU is in, I hit the Power and the blue light ONLY comes on...nothing to the monitor...no fans...no hardrive... nothing.. Take it out an walah the fans kick onm my comp was also having an issue before this it would just shut off for no reason, and right before it did the fan would get real loud for like 3 seconds, then reboot. Thanks again
dmaleck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:32 AM   #4
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 64
Default Re: PSU or Graphics card? Kind of new!

Did the graphics card come with the Gateway?
isaiahk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 13
Default Re: PSU or Graphics card? Kind of new!

Yes it did.
dmaleck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:19 PM   #6
Daemon Poster
 
Computear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: US
Posts: 675
Default Re: PSU or Graphics card? Kind of new!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaleck1 View Post
Thanks for the fast reply, Sorry I left that part out. When the GPU is in, I hit the Power and the blue light ONLY comes on...nothing to the monitor...no fans...no hardrive... nothing.. Take it out an walah the fans kick onm my comp was also having an issue before this it would just shut off for no reason, and right before it did the fan would get real loud for like 3 seconds, then reboot. Thanks again
Still not sure I understand completely if the computer is able to boot up without the GPU in.


If the fan is getting really loud it could be an overheating problem?
__________________
Laptop: Dell XPS 17 | i5-2450M @ 2.5GHz | 6144MB RAM | GeForce GT 550M
Desktop:
HAF 932 Advanced | i5-3750k @ 4.4GHz | CORSAIR H100 | ASUS P8Z77-V | EVGA GTX 680 2GB | 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 @ 1600 | MUSHKIN 240GB SSD | WD 500GB 7200RPM HDD
Computear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:22 PM   #7
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 13
Default Re: PSU or Graphics card? Kind of new!

I'll try to explain a little better. If I Hit the power with the graphics card in, the light on front comes on but the fans Don't, nothing will appear on the monitor either. If I take the graphics card out and hit the power the fans will come on and the harrddrive but there is still nothing on the monitor. Hope this helps!
dmaleck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:25 PM   #8
Daemon Poster
 
Computear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: US
Posts: 675
Default Re: PSU or Graphics card? Kind of new!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaleck1 View Post
I'll try to explain a little better. If I Hit the power with the graphics card in, the light on front comes on but the fans Don't, nothing will appear on the monitor either. If I take the graphics card out and hit the power the fans will come on and the harrddrive but there is still nothing on the monitor. Hope this helps!
Hm... Sounds like a faulty PSU to me, but its hard to tell.

Seems like your PSU is having trouble powering your machine, which explains why when you take out a part that requires a lot of power (the GPU), it is able to partially work.
__________________
Laptop: Dell XPS 17 | i5-2450M @ 2.5GHz | 6144MB RAM | GeForce GT 550M
Desktop:
HAF 932 Advanced | i5-3750k @ 4.4GHz | CORSAIR H100 | ASUS P8Z77-V | EVGA GTX 680 2GB | 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 @ 1600 | MUSHKIN 240GB SSD | WD 500GB 7200RPM HDD
Computear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:34 PM   #9
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 13
Default Re: PSU or Graphics card? Kind of new!

that sounds very likely, i thought it would be something like that or maybe when you put the GPU in it shorts something out? Thanks for the help so far!
__________________

dmaleck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0