PSU Confusion

wee2john

Baseband Member
Im confused with my PSU. Its a corsair 750W TX series PSU and it has a lot of cables. The cables are every where in the case and make it look really messy through the side window on my case. Also I do not know where most of these cables go because the manual tells me to plug a cable into the hdd sata power connection but i thought the cable went to the motherboard.

So my questions are:
How do I neaten up my system?
Where do all the cables connect to?

Well, first the easiest thing to do is unplug all the cables and start over. This will let you pull all the cables out of the computer.

Then you need to make sure that the MoBo has power as well as the HDD and the Optical drive and Floppy if you have one.

Once you have all your drives plugged in and have (probably) 2 lines going to the mobo you'll be albe to tuck the extra's somewhere else. This will let you get a clean look.

Im confused with my PSU. Its a corsair 750W TX series PSU and it has a lot of cables. The cables are every where in the case and make it look really messy through the side window on my case. Also I do not know where most of these cables go because the manual tells me to plug a cable into the hdd sata power connection but i thought the cable went to the motherboard.

So my questions are:
How do I neaten up my system?
Where do all the cables connect to?

your psu should have two leads going to the motherboard, that's it, the rest plug straight into your other components (hdds, video card, dvd burners, etc.), almost every component plugs into the motherboard AND the psu, your hard drive should look like this...

hdd.jpg

of the two connectors circled, the wider one is the power connector and that plugs into the psu, the other one is the data cable connector and plugs into the motherboard...

also, lots of cases have cable management options with places to tuck unused cables, route cables underneath the motherboard tray, etc...

Ok so I have sata data cables connected to the mother board and sata power cables connected to the psu cables along with the 4 fans (to be displayed on an lcd on the front of case). USB are plugged into the motherboard along with the 24 and 8 pin power connector. The floppy is attached to the motherboard via ribbon cable. Processor is attached along with CPU cooler and North Brdige cooling fan. RAM is securely attached and sound card attached to mother board with an HD audio cable plugged into it. Is that everything needed? What are the COM1 and IIEEE1394a and what do they do?

Ok so I have sata data cables connected to the mother board and sata power cables connected to the psu cables along with the 4 fans (to be displayed on an lcd on the front of case). USB are plugged into the motherboard along with the 24 and 8 pin power connector. The floppy is attached to the motherboard via ribbon cable. Processor is attached along with CPU cooler and North Brdige cooling fan. RAM is securely attached and sound card attached to mother board with an HD audio cable plugged into it. Is that everything needed? What are the COM1 and IIEEE1394a and what do they do?

don't worry about those for now, the system should be ready to rock and roll, you can read up on those options (if you ever even end up needing them) later in the motherboard manual...

I shove all of my spare PSU cables into an empty DVD drive bay. On my next build I am soooo getting a modular, I don't care what I have to pay for it :p

My computer has a bottom mounted psu so I cant use the dvd drive.

So i take the wires and pull them through the back of the case and only pull back in what i need. Then after doing that and making sure to hide as many wires as I can then zip tie the rest to the back of the case. Put the back cover on and all is good haha

I pull all of the cables out through the top most drive bay. Only put in the bare minimum, using every adapter and connector in my arsenal. Then, zip tie the hell out of it. Stuff the rest into the drive bay, and your case should look pretty spiffy :D

Back
Top Bottom