Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-19-2009, 07:55 AM   #1
Baseband Member

Default PSU Confusion

Im confused with my PSU. Its a corsair 750W TX series PSU and it has a lot of cables. The cables are every where in the case and make it look really messy through the side window on my case. Also I do not know where most of these cables go because the manual tells me to plug a cable into the hdd sata power connection but i thought the cable went to the motherboard.

So my questions are:
How do I neaten up my system?
Where do all the cables connect to?

Motherboard: Foxconn BlackOps Intel X48 PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard Processor: Intel E8500 Core 2 Duo Ram: 2x OCZ Gold Memory 4GB DDR3 Drives: Akasa internal card reader and Samsung SATA Dual Layer Lightscribe ReWriter HDD: 3x 500GB Samsung Spinpo int 7200 rpm 32MB Cache Case: X-Case Viper Case Adapters: Radeon HD4650
wee2john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:01 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: PSU Confusion

Well, first the easiest thing to do is unplug all the cables and start over. This will let you pull all the cables out of the computer.

Then you need to make sure that the MoBo has power as well as the HDD and the Optical drive and Floppy if you have one.

Once you have all your drives plugged in and have (probably) 2 lines going to the mobo you'll be albe to tuck the extra's somewhere else. This will let you get a clean look.

jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:40 AM   #3
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee2john View Post
Im confused with my PSU. Its a corsair 750W TX series PSU and it has a lot of cables. The cables are every where in the case and make it look really messy through the side window on my case. Also I do not know where most of these cables go because the manual tells me to plug a cable into the hdd sata power connection but i thought the cable went to the motherboard.

So my questions are:
How do I neaten up my system?
Where do all the cables connect to?
your psu should have two leads going to the motherboard, that's it, the rest plug straight into your other components (hdds, video card, dvd burners, etc.), almost every component plugs into the motherboard AND the psu, your hard drive should look like this...

of the two connectors circled, the wider one is the power connector and that plugs into the psu, the other one is the data cable connector and plugs into the motherboard...

also, lots of cases have cable management options with places to tuck unused cables, route cables underneath the motherboard tray, etc...
MY INTARDNET BEAST ■ Antec 300 ■ Q6600 B3, 2.8GHz @ 1.325v ■ MSI X48C Platinum ■ Kingwin XT-1264 ■ Visiontek HD 4870 512MB ■ 4x1GB Transcend aXeRam DDR3-1800 @ 1400MHz ■ WD Raptor (160GB) ■ Western Digital (250GB) ■ Samsung (640GB) ■ Seagate (500GB) ■ WD Caviar Green (1TB) ■ OCZ ProXStream 1kw ■ Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ■ JVC HA RX900 ■

ME ■ I am bald and my head is lumpy...fear me ■
wol-va-rine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:52 AM   #4
Baseband Member

Ok so I have sata data cables connected to the mother board and sata power cables connected to the psu cables along with the 4 fans (to be displayed on an lcd on the front of case). USB are plugged into the motherboard along with the 24 and 8 pin power connector. The floppy is attached to the motherboard via ribbon cable. Processor is attached along with CPU cooler and North Brdige cooling fan. RAM is securely attached and sound card attached to mother board with an HD audio cable plugged into it. Is that everything needed? What are the COM1 and IIEEE1394a and what do they do?
Motherboard: Foxconn BlackOps Intel X48 PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard Processor: Intel E8500 Core 2 Duo Ram: 2x OCZ Gold Memory 4GB DDR3 Drives: Akasa internal card reader and Samsung SATA Dual Layer Lightscribe ReWriter HDD: 3x 500GB Samsung Spinpo int 7200 rpm 32MB Cache Case: X-Case Viper Case Adapters: Radeon HD4650
wee2john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:27 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by wee2john View Post
Ok so I have sata data cables connected to the mother board and sata power cables connected to the psu cables along with the 4 fans (to be displayed on an lcd on the front of case). USB are plugged into the motherboard along with the 24 and 8 pin power connector. The floppy is attached to the motherboard via ribbon cable. Processor is attached along with CPU cooler and North Brdige cooling fan. RAM is securely attached and sound card attached to mother board with an HD audio cable plugged into it. Is that everything needed? What are the COM1 and IIEEE1394a and what do they do?
don't worry about those for now, the system should be ready to rock and roll, you can read up on those options (if you ever even end up needing them) later in the motherboard manual...
MY INTARDNET BEAST ■ Antec 300 ■ Q6600 B3, 2.8GHz @ 1.325v ■ MSI X48C Platinum ■ Kingwin XT-1264 ■ Visiontek HD 4870 512MB ■ 4x1GB Transcend aXeRam DDR3-1800 @ 1400MHz ■ WD Raptor (160GB) ■ Western Digital (250GB) ■ Samsung (640GB) ■ Seagate (500GB) ■ WD Caviar Green (1TB) ■ OCZ ProXStream 1kw ■ Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ■ JVC HA RX900 ■

ME ■ I am bald and my head is lumpy...fear me ■
wol-va-rine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:07 PM   #6
Daemon Poster

I shove all of my spare PSU cables into an empty DVD drive bay. On my next build I am soooo getting a modular, I don't care what I have to pay for it :P
Old 08-20-2009, 02:37 PM   #7
Daemon Poster

My computer has a bottom mounted psu so I cant use the dvd drive.

So i take the wires and pull them through the back of the case and only pull back in what i need. Then after doing that and making sure to hide as many wires as I can then zip tie the rest to the back of the case. Put the back cover on and all is good haha
hemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:55 PM   #8
Daemon Poster

I pull all of the cables out through the top most drive bay. Only put in the bare minimum, using every adapter and connector in my arsenal. Then, zip tie the hell out of it. Stuff the rest into the drive bay, and your case should look pretty spiffy
Old 08-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #9
Daemon Poster

pretty much my scenario and it looks great haha

'"Crapbox 2.0.....Until you put Mac OS X on it, then its called a Mac Pro." -cavemangrinder

"You were sick, but now you're well again, and there's work to do." - Kurt Vonnegut
hemp is offline   Reply With Quote