Is This PSU Compatible With This Motherboard?

^ True, but if you are going to overclock power consumption goes up exponentially. a 65W Ryzen 5 can pull 125W with a hefty overclock under an artificial testing load.

Also, if at any point in the future he wanted to run say, a single (or a pair) of 1080Ti or the future price point equivalent, and overclock them, you'd have plenty of headroom.

I think the point he made that I agree with is he intends this to be his final PSU purchase for quite a while, so it's probably a worthwhile investment. I've been using the same semi-modular Coolermaster PSU for about 5 years now!

What I would like to point out, that you seem to be ignoring, is that newer components don't necessarily mean more power. On the contrary. If you look at Intel CPUs, they have done nothing but reduce the power consumption and increase the performance.

This is in absolutely no way something I have ignored. I know as technology advances it is expected to reduce power consumption (given the state of the environment anyway) - but what you seem to keep ignoring, repeatedly, is what Darkseeker has said, and I have said numerous times. Who knows what sort of upgrades I'll wish to have? I need a solid 800W I believe as it is, what's such a big deal about have 1000W? All it's doing, as I repeat again, is securing my potential for upgrades and sufficing my current needs. My 10 year old PSU has lasted me just that.. 10 years.. so this £200 PSU, if it lasts me another 10.. is in my eyes a fantastic investment. Omitting the fact it's platinum rated too!

This is in absolutely no way something I have ignored. I know as technology advances it is expected to reduce power consumption (given the state of the environment anyway) - but what you seem to keep ignoring, repeatedly, is what Darkseeker has said, and I have said numerous times. Who knows what sort of upgrades I'll wish to have? I need a solid 800W I believe as it is, what's such a big deal about have 1000W? All it's doing, as I repeat again, is securing my potential for upgrades and sufficing my current needs. My 10 year old PSU has lasted me just that.. 10 years.. so this £200 PSU, if it lasts me another 10.. is in my eyes a fantastic investment. Omitting the fact it's platinum rated too!

Well what I was suggesting was, get a higher quality PSU with less wattage. Since you already got a Platinum one, there is no point on trading quality for wattage.

As I said, upgrades, if you play it smart, will only make your setup less power hungry, so it is pointless to get so much. Now, if you have a huge budget you should have said so and we wouldn't be talking about this.

And yes, a Ryzen COULD pull 125w, and that's still less than what I've assumed your FX would pull (150w), so there's that. A 1080Ti use the same or less power than the 290x, so that's also not important. Not to mention Crossfire doesn't use double the power one GPU would use (550w I the 290x's case). And all that data is under stress tests! So what exactly are you future proofing!?

Fookin waste of my time!

Well what I was suggesting was, get a higher quality PSU with less wattage. Since you already got a Platinum one, there is no point on trading quality for wattage.

As I said, upgrades, if you play it smart, will only make your setup less power hungry, so it is pointless to get so much. Now, if you have a huge budget you should have said so and we wouldn't be talking about this.

And yes, a Ryzen COULD pull 125w, and that's still less than what I've assumed your FX would pull (150w), so there's that. A 1080Ti use the same or less power than the 290x, so that's also not important. Not to mention Crossfire doesn't use double the power one GPU would use (550w I the 290x's case). And all that data is under stress tests! So what exactly are you future proofing!?

Fookin waste of my time!

I honestly feel like you're just being pedantic about every point now for the sake of it.

"If you play it smart" - What if someone wishes to have the additional power? Frame rates? CPU performance? etc... for those that desire it, the power is more important than the cost of an extra £50? It is entirely circumstantial. You're purely being biased upon your own needs and projecting it onto this conversation in my opinion.

Ultimately, this entire conversation has been over about £50.. you do realise that, don't you? Disregarding the fact ALL I wanted to know was whether the PSU was compatible or not.

That additional £50, over the course of TEN years, will grant me far more room than your suggestion of 800W... which would most likely need to be replaced at an earlier stage.. if I so wish to upgrade. That's not 'smart'.

Additionally.. it was your only presumption about a budget, not mine. So I have no idea why that's being brought up.

Playing it smart is what I'm currently doing. I thank you for your feedback, but it's no longer required methinks.. :thumb:

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 PM ----------

Fookin waste of my time!

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
That additional £50, over the course of TEN years, will grant me far more room than your suggestion of 800W... which would most likely need to be replaced at an earlier stage.. if I so wish to upgrade. That's not 'smart'.

What do you need room for? Are you going to plug your freezer to the PC? Why would it need to be replaced?

Don't bother, you have just been repeating the same for the entire thread. You can't understand that power consumption will only go down. Adding a third card is nuts and pointless, since the scaling is ridiculous. So I ask again, are you going to plug your freezer to the PC?

And by the way, I wasn't trying to save you 50 pounds, I just felt they would be better spent on a better PSU with less wattage. Sorry for trying to help.

What do you need room for? Are you going to plug your freezer to the PC? Why would it need to be replaced?

Don't bother, you have just been repeating the same for the entire thread. You can't understand that power consumption will only go down. Adding a third card is nuts and pointless, since the scaling is ridiculous. So I ask again, are you going to plug your freezer to the PC?

And by the way, I wasn't trying to save you 50 pounds, I just felt they would be better spent on a better PSU with less wattage. Sorry for trying to help.

Yes... because the extra 200W would require me to need a freezer attached...

Lol still trying to push your own agenda and grossly over-predicting the future of power consumption. Misinterpreting the needs of individual's requirements/desires at the time.

I give up. Thanks for the help though. Your help went as far as:

"Yes It's compatible" - from then on, it was just nonsense.

Last edited:
Yes... because the extra 200W would require me to need a freezer attached...

Lol still trying to push your own agenda and grossly predicting the future of power consumption. Misinterpreting the needs of individual's requirements/desires at the time.

I give up. Thanks for the help though. Your help went as far as:

"Yes It's compatible" - from then on, it was just nonsense.

Yeah, I've seen that before, for some reason he thinks if he doesn't need it, no one does.

Yeah, I've seen that before, for some reason he thinks if he doesn't need it, no one does.

That's dumb. I see what he has, and what his options are, and I calculated he wouldn't need one. If the stupid thing you are saying was true, why would I recommend an 800w PSU? I certainly don't need one.

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

I realize you will now respond with some meaningless BS, but I can only hope...

I realize you will now respond with some meaningless BS, but I can only hope...

You're right, wish granted.

Because you're still not getting it. "I see what he has.. and what his options are" - You don't KNOW what I intend for my future upgrades. You don't KNOW what my requirements will be.. You're just not understanding it. The PSU is literally the standing point for any future upgrades in any computer.. it's better to overstate than understate. Want to cut a piece of string that's just shy of tying what you need? No. You overestimate, so you have margin for error.

800W is not a smart choice. It would suffice my PC, yes.. but not if I wish to expand its usage, which is most likely what I'll do...

But sure, keep arguing your own agenda.

Back
Top Bottom