PSU Burning?

wcarlton

Beta member
I have been having issues with cooling the past month and i finally decided its time i swap cases. i upgraded to the Raid Max 868 with 7 case fans. the guy at the shop told me that i wouldent need a 420 watt psu so he gave me this enermax 280W psu im running a P4 1.8 Ghz/Ati 256mb Video/512mb ram/onboard audio/ati tv tuner/lynksys ethernet card/Western Digital 80gig and Maxtor 40gig hd/on windows xp pro sp2. i sucessfully swapped the components and its working but i couldent plug in my dvd wrighter because there wernt any more power connectors. the fans included with the case had splitters on them so infact i am pushing the psu to its limits. i am afraid its gonna blow up on me because of the load. any recomendations of a new power supply to get in the 30-120 doller price range. and also suggestions of upgrades to my system.

Thanks Alot

The guy at the shop lied to you, and he's not a very good salesman either:rolleyes:
With all that equipment, you should at least have a 400W PSU or higher, preferably a 500-600W PSU. You are straining that PSU, and it's only a matter of time before it goes. The only upgrad I would recommend is to replace that PSU- ASAP. Other than that, you have a good system. Can't say what PSU to recommend, as I haven't looked at any in a while. You should be able to get a decent (400-500W) PSU for under a $100 though.

Yeah, that sales person doesn't have a clue what hes talking about. the PSU you buy is one of the most important descions you make when building a pc, it simply cannot be neglected.

Yes, I agree. Withouth the PSU, nothing... well... works. :D

You might want to look into OCZ PSU's. They're really nice.

kabirhussein said:
Just out of curosity what would a PSU 200/250W be used for nowadays

my gaming rig.
Well no, I have 300W. A 250W would be good for a computer that is for browsing the internet, word editing, light gaming etc.

I trust:
works power
OCZ
Antec
Just For Pc
Code Gen Group
and enlight.

none of those companies have ever let me down.

Back
Top Bottom