Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-24-2007, 05:53 PM   #11
Baseband Member
 
depastino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23
Default Re: Which PSU brands are good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownage View Post
http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103
That list is very good. It will tell you the good from the bad
To be perfectly honest, I thought that the guy came across as kind of pompous.

But maybe that's because I spent good money on a PSU that he placed in Tier 4?

Anyway, I can't see much use for anything beyond the 750 watts that I bought, yet all his top PSU's seem to be 800 or <.

And why are the Tier 4's Tier 4's? He gives bullet point specs on each without detailing why they're inferior. Then he refers to people that might "whine" about his rankings as "nimrods".

Jonny Guru? More like Jonny Jackass...
__________________

depastino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:59 PM   #12
Golden Master
 
alvino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 19,967
Send a message via AIM to alvino
Default Re: Which PSU brands are good?

Jonny Guru may be pompous, but his reviews are damned good. Very reliable and unbiased. I do agree that he does review rather high-end PSU's though. Then again PSUs aren't something to skimp out on, so if you're going to buy one, you should always get the best you can.
__________________

alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:08 PM   #13
Daemon Poster
 
connchri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 1,019
Send a message via MSN to connchri
Default Re: Which PSU brands are good?

http://www.custompc.co.uk/labs/category/psus

Fully comprehensive head to head labs test. Hope that helps.
__________________
Delta: "What's wrong Chris?? Chris: "I miss my old Cyrix"
connchri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:11 PM   #14
Baseband Member
 
depastino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23
Default Re: Which PSU brands are good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvino View Post
Jonny Guru may be pompous, but his reviews are damned good. Very reliable and unbiased. I do agree that he does review rather high-end PSU's though. Then again PSUs aren't something to skimp out on, so if you're going to buy one, you should always get the best you can.
Granted, I read several of his reviews and they are very detailed and informative. But frankly, my budget can't absorb a PSU that exceeds $150.

I understand the importance of the PSU, but bigger doesn't necessarily equal better. I shopped around, read reviews and got a good deal on a 750w Toughpower.

Ya know what? It works like a champ.
depastino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:25 PM   #15
Baseband Member
 
depastino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23
Default Re: Which PSU brands are good?

double post, sorry
depastino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:37 PM   #16
Golden Master
 
DJ-CHRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,203
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: Which PSU brands are good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by depastino View Post
To be perfectly honest, I thought that the guy came across as kind of pompous.

But maybe that's because I spent good money on a PSU that he placed in Tier 4?

Anyway, I can't see much use for anything beyond the 750 watts that I bought, yet all his top PSU's seem to be 800 or <.

And why are the Tier 4's Tier 4's? He gives bullet point specs on each without detailing why they're inferior. Then he refers to people that might "whine" about his rankings as "nimrods".

Jonny Guru? More like Jonny Jackass...
He's one out of 2 people I have seen that truly know what their talking about, he also reviews soem mid range PSU's on his website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by connchri View Post
http://www.custompc.co.uk/labs/category/psus

Fully comprehensive head to head labs test. Hope that helps.
Those reviews don't seem to touch the extremely important parts, however they are better than the rest

Quote:
Originally Posted by depastino View Post
Granted, I read several of his reviews and they are very detailed and informative. But frankly, my budget can't absorb a PSU that exceeds $150.

I understand the importance of the PSU, but bigger doesn't necessarily equal better. I shopped around, read reviews and got a good deal on a 750w Toughpower.

Ya know what? It works like a champ.
Bigger doesn't mean better, and he's reviewed some real nice 500 wattish psu's.
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:39 PM   #17
Fully Optimized
 
ownage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,404
Default Re: Which PSU brands are good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by depastino View Post
Granted, I read several of his reviews and they are very detailed and informative. But frankly, my budget can't absorb a PSU that exceeds $150.

I understand the importance of the PSU, but bigger doesn't necessarily equal better. I shopped around, read reviews and got a good deal on a 750w Toughpower.

Ya know what? It works like a champ.
depastino, usually when the big brother of powersupplies, lets say the Toughpower 1kw, performes well, you can assume that its younger will perform almost exactly the same. And for those of you that can't afford psus >$150, there's a list for you too http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1460
ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:45 PM   #18
Fully Optimized
 
ownage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,404
Default Re: Which PSU brands are good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by depastino View Post
To be perfectly honest, I thought that the guy came across as kind of pompous.

But maybe that's because I spent good money on a PSU that he placed in Tier 4?

Anyway, I can't see much use for anything beyond the 750 watts that I bought, yet all his top PSU's seem to be 800 or <.

And why are the Tier 4's Tier 4's? He gives bullet point specs on each without detailing why they're inferior. Then he refers to people that might "whine" about his rankings as "nimrods".

Jonny Guru? More like Jonny Jackass...
Why? Its because some people stand by a certain brand no matter what. Some people refuse to buy anything but Corsair for RAM, or OCZ for powersupplies, or AMD for cpus. Why should people thread crap on his forum? IMO, he has all the right to call the fanboys nimrods. If you read the in depth reviews of each power supply, you will see that Enhance does very poorly above a certain wattage, regulation is horrible. And that some companies choose to skimp out on some things. Thats why they're tier 4 and not higher. If they can have tighter regulation, higher quality parts, better OEMs, then they can move up in the higher tiers.
ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:51 PM   #19
Golden Master
 
freestyler105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,883
Default Re: Which PSU brands are good?

The 650 watt Silverstone Zeus is only $110 on newegg buddy...much cheaper and better than your 750 watt Thermaltake.
__________________
C2D E6600 | 4GB DDR2-800 | 9800GTX+ | Asus P5B-E | 150GB Raptor | 320GB 7200.10 | 750W Xigmatek PSU
freestyler105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:39 PM   #20
Golden Master
 
DJ-CHRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,203
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: Which PSU brands are good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownage View Post
Why? Its because some people stand by a certain brand no matter what. Some people refuse to buy anything but Corsair for RAM, or OCZ for powersupplies, or AMD for cpus. Why should people thread crap on his forum? IMO, he has all the right to call the fanboys nimrods. If you read the in depth reviews of each power supply, you will see that Enhance does very poorly above a certain wattage, regulation is horrible. And that some companies choose to skimp out on some things. Thats why they're tier 4 and not higher. If they can have tighter regulation, higher quality parts, better OEMs, then they can move up in the higher tiers.
All the tier 4 are great their, they just don't have as much power as the other tiers.
__________________

DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0