PSU any good?

emperor76

In Runtime
Hi, I have decided to take heed of the advice I have received in the forum regarding my less than reputable brand of psu as the more I think about it, the more I am worrying about my components, when I get my case in a few days I was going to order a new psu at the same time, I have wanted a corsair one for quite some time but don't want to spend too much, is this one any good? Corsair Builder Series CX600 V2 Power supply - 600 Watt Not as high as the 750 I have, but at least it will be a reputable brand

It looks like a good PSU. When replacing a PSU, I like to use a unit with the same wattage or more.

My current specs are as follows, AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.20ghz 4GB Corsair DDR3 Gigabyte motherboard GA-880GMA-UD2H AMD Radeon HD 6450 cit 750 watt psu Samsung spinpoint 1tb H.D.D, Cooler Master Silencio 550 case so I was thinking the 750 watt I got was a little overkill for my build anyway but I'm not sure

You can't go wrong with Corsair power supplies, they are all well made, and reliable. However, I'd prefer to see you purchase something more robust for just a few dollars more, like this...

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

There is almost no such thing as "overkill" in a power supply, (within reason of course). The more headroom, the cooler it runs, the less wear on the caps, and the hardier your upgrades can be.

You can't go wrong with Corsair power supplies, they are all well made, and reliable. However, I'd prefer to see you purchase something more robust for just a few dollars more, like this...

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

---------- Post added at 12:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

There is almost no such thing as "overkill" in a power supply, (within reason of course). The more headroom, the cooler it runs, the less wear on the caps, and the hardier your upgrades can be.

All I can say is I wish we had new egg in the UK, the cheapest I can find it here is £74 which is more than the case I am buying if I am lucky enough for it to still be on offer when I get paid, I will have a good look around and see if I can match the price you found which is equivalent to £65 without the rebate card and £52 with but I think I will struggle unless I wait for the next payday for the PSU.

Last edited:
All I can say is I wish we had new egg in the UK, the cheapest I can find it here is £74 which is more than the case I am buying if I am lucky enough for it to still be on offer when I get paid, I will have a good look around and see if I can match the price you found which is equivalent to £65 without the rebate card and £52 with but I think I will struggle unless I wait for the next payday for the PSU.

If you can wait, I would recommend it. Definitely want to give yourself headroom on your power supply, it will pay off in the end.

Looking at the spec you've got you really do need to change to a reputable brand like corsair and congrats on making that decision!

I think you should go with something like this to be honest, Corsair CX600 :

Corsair CX600 V2 Builder Series 600 Watt ATX PS/2 Power Supply Unit (80 PLUS Certified) - Custom Built Gaming PC Base Units

However if you want a different type of corsair maybe a higher wattage version check out these:

Power Supply Units - Custom Built Gaming PC Base Units

I've been using this company for years and always recommend anyone to them that's after PC components. :thumb:

Try scan.co.uk

cheers, been looking at reviews, one review looked promising until I noticed that it was uploaded by novatech so I will have to do a little more research on it. I am being a little more cautious this time as I hastily spent hard earned money on a cit one and now I am having to fork out again. Thanks again for taking time to post, I am trying to keep the price of my build down, but I think I really do have my mind set on Corsair if I can

---------- Post added at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

Looking at the spec you've got you really do need to change to a reputable brand like corsair and congrats on making that decision!

I think you should go with something like this to be honest, Corsair CX600 :

Corsair CX600 V2 Builder Series 600 Watt ATX PS/2 Power Supply Unit (80 PLUS Certified) - Custom Built Gaming PC Base Units

However if you want a different type of corsair maybe a higher wattage version check out these:

Power Supply Units - Custom Built Gaming PC Base Units

I've been using this company for years and always recommend anyone to them that's after PC components. :thumb:
yeah, I think you are right on the upgrade to Corsair, I was considering the one you mentioned above as I found it for £43, but since I know very little about psu's, I wasn't sure. I posted a link to it a few comments up, thanks for the help though, much appreciated

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 PM ----------

If you can wait, I would recommend it. Definitely want to give yourself headroom on your power supply, it will pay off in the end.
You are probably right, if my components have survived this, I am sure they can survive a little more time, I have been too hasty with my whole build without researching properly, for a start I should have probably gone the Intel route and gone for i5 or i7, but I used to dislike them, I got a case that clearly lacks airflow and I got it purely for the looks, and I got a poor psu and not a very good graphics card because I bought it from a shop as I was too impatient to wait, when I look at the graphics cards I could have got for the £50 I spent on mine I could kick myself. I think I have learned my lesson

Back
Top Bottom