Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-03-2006, 01:55 PM   #1
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage
Default Project Offset game engine

I just witnessed this new game engine thats going to be running Project Offset, and is going to be used on next gen games, and I think it even surpasses the Unreal 3 engine. The graphics look so cinematic, its unbelievable!

I'll let you witness it too, and you can tell me what you think here

http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/764/764837/vids_1.html

http://www.projectoffset.com/downloads.html (HD versions)

Old 04-03-2006, 02:18 PM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to mammikoura
Default Re: Project Offset game engine

looks awesome.
I'm just hoping that they manage to tweak the next gen game engines so that they don't requite any mega expensive hardware.
Like I'd like to run this game and crysis fine with 1gb of ram and a 6800GS, but I'm guessing that it won't happen.

mammikoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 02:37 PM   #3
Golden Master

I've just upgraded to a 6800GS. I hope it has life in it!...
Old 04-03-2006, 03:46 PM   #4
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage
I've just upgraded to a 6800GS. I hope it has life in it!...
yeah, I'm probably gonna get a 6800GS for my next computer. Just need to figure out the detailed specs, kinda depends on my ability to find a decent mobo supporting pci-e for socket 478.
If I can, then I'm probably gonna get the computer quite soon.

They should really do alot of work on that game engine, like they did with oblivion. The engine in oblivion is just so great, awesome graphics with high end systems, and I can even play it with my fx5700 (quite laggy but still playable) and it still looks quite good even with everything on the lowest possible settings.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:16 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

Your 6800GS probly will run it at low settings.
Western Digital 250 Gig HD
Evga 8800GTS 640mb Oc'd to 615/1000
allenn812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 05:14 PM   #6
Golden Master

----------------------------------

I've just installed the Tomb Raider Legends demo and I can run at full resoloution, with antialising, with all the settings turned on, and I still get more than 60fps.

The only thing is, even on my 6800GS, the Advanced Graphics (or something like that) is blanked out, and can't switch it to ON.

Though it does say the recommended video card is 512MB of RAM and a Geforce 7800 or higher. Maybe thats what that option does. Adds better textures.

I have to say though, the game isn't as impressive as I thought it would be. The graphical effects don't blow me away or ANYTHING.
It is a bit easier to control though, but the camera is still pretty rubbish, and I don't like the gun system at all with it locking on in a poor fashion, etc.

It actually still feels like Tomb Raider 2, but with SLIGHTLY better graphics. You don't notice any of the advanced ones while playing, which is why its pretty poor. There are some okay touches, but not amazing or anything.

The characters on screen except for cutscenes don't speak with mouths opening or closing either, and all the rest of the characters except Lara look low poly, etc.

Though thats the end of that preview

---------------------------------

I think that game engine above surpasses the Unreal 3 engine. I wonder what your views are on that?
Old 04-03-2006, 06:05 PM   #7
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to MikeReiner Send a message via MSN to MikeReiner Send a message via Yahoo to MikeReiner

I never liked Tomb Raider at all. The graphics, while always being crap, weren't what I hated. It's the controls man.. controlling Lara is just so irritable, drives me crazy.
MikeReiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 06:10 PM   #8
Guru

Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn

Haha, controlling Lara is meant to

But nah, they make these things as enthusiasts, we all want to see engines that make the most cinematic effects. Don't blame the creators of the engines that cheap cards can't do it, because we want to see what cheap cards can't do. If they made an engine for a cheap card, you would not be interesting.

Blame the Card Manufacturers for not upgrading enough and driving prices down.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:12 PM   #9
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to MikeReiner Send a message via MSN to MikeReiner Send a message via Yahoo to MikeReiner

Thats all you really can do. When I finally get a new computer, it will probably still be a slide show for UT07 and crysis.
MikeReiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:05 AM   #10
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeReiner
Thats all you really can do. When I finally get a new computer, it will probably still be a slide show for UT07 and crysis.
yeah, they just need to tweak the engine so that it doesn't requite too much power. And yes it's possible, like I said, oblivion runs almost fine with my fx5700, and it's one of the most demanding games there is. And I really don't care too much about the detail levels, the most important thing is that I can play it. The nice graphics are only a bonus.