Programs start to open, then close without explanation

nickcherryjiggz

Beta member
I'm currently running Windows XP on a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop, and I would really like to solve this problem once and for all, or at least figure out what the cause is. What's happening is this:

With a handful of programs (Flash CS3, Adobe Audition 2.0, iTunes, Kodak photo software, to name a few), whenever I try to open the application, I get the splash screen, everything looks fine, my mouse pointer turns into the arrow + small hour glass symbol and there is no lag...then without warning, the splash screen disappears, my mouse goes back to normal and the computer acts like nothing ever happened. I've reformatted several times, and while my computer runs well at first, it always ends up falling back to this same type of problem eventually...sometimes with the same programs, sometimes with different ones. I've tried installing various combinations of software after reformatting to see if it was one thing causing the issue, but I'm thinking that's not the case. I've been having this problem for quite some time (long before I ever got Adobe CS3), and right now, CS3 is the only software I have installed (aside from a large Adobe font collection), but I get the same problem. With some of the programs, reinstalling serves as a temporary fix and gets me through a few days of functioning, but it usually fails again sooner or later. Another possibly relevant note is that when I first try to open one of the programs that doesn't work, the splash screen stays up for a little longer (about the amount of time I would normally expect it to take if it were working properly), but after it fails once and I try to open it again, the splash screen is only up for a split second then goes away.

Any ideas what might be causing this huge headache?

It has the characteristics of a program conflict ion but cant be certain, have you run an AV and spyware program to see if your not picking anything up? Have you got a good firewall setup before you go online after formatting? have you got the latest windows service pack installed (SP2)? I'm still drawn to it reseting itself (shutting down the program). You might need to run your computer for a while without CS3 and see how it goes, If it runs OK you have a driver confliction with CS3. If not then you will have to go back further, you may even have to go back as far as your windows OS only, and install a bit at a time to see if it runs stable,

I think you may be on to something with the updates. It seems that I can't get a lot of vital patches for XP. Each time I try, I get the following error:

C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER0a45.dir00\update.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER0a45.dir00\appcompat.txt

szAppName: update.exe
szAppVer: 5.5.33.0
szModName: kernel32.dll
szModVer: 5.1.2600.2180
offset: 00026bd5

I've checked and there are 60+ vital updates needed, but they all fail and now I am constantly getting a "Windows Service Pack Setup has encountered a problem and needs to close" message every few seconds.

Have you run a VIRUS check, you could try a system restore to a point where you have little on then try updating again what version of xp are you on? and have you got service pack 1 or 2

You might just aswell start fresh, reformat, then goto microsoft update or set automatic update on in windows and install the updates from the start, then install your other programs, another option is to try windows repair on the xp cd to see if you are missing any files or any are currupt. just thought of something else, go into my computer, right click your drive e.g C properties, tools then select error checking by selecting check now, this will then do a sort of scan disk on you computer to see if your drive has any currupt files or errors and should fix them if it finds any.

Back
Top Bottom