Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-24-2007, 08:35 AM   #1
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz
Default Processor upgrade

Ive just ordered an athlon x2 4200+ from OCUK (88.41 with next day delivery ), will have it tomorrow. Ive got a dual boot system with XP and vista. Am i likely to run into problems with the OSes when i change the processor over? Is there any easy workarounds, or am i likely to need to reinstall? I think i might getaway with a repair of XP, but im not to sure about how vista works with stuff like this. Has anyone done this with vista?

Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:45 AM   #2
BSOD

Default Re: Processor upgrade

Don't know about the actual processor swap, but I hope you have a smooth experience with overlclockers, I've heard nothing but bad things about them

Furby123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:49 AM   #3
Baseband Member

Congats Raffaz, Thats a good question that I'm not sure of. it is a hardware change but is that something the software is monitoring, interesting. i hope you post what happens. Your one of the first person I've noticed on this forum upgrading an AMD. Most seem to be Intel fans.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:52 AM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furby123 View Post
Don't know about the actual processor swap, but I hope you have a smooth experience with overlclockers, I've heard nothing but bad things about them
Ive used them for years without any problems whatsoever. They also have an excellent RMA service.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:54 AM   #5
Baseband Member

Congats Raffaz, Thats a good question that I'm not sure of. it is a hardware change but is that something the software is monitoring, interesting. i hope you post what happens. Your one of the first person I've noticed on this forum upgrading an AMD. Most seem to be Intel fans.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:54 AM   #6
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by costaj View Post
Im only upgrading my AMD because money is tight at the moment, so i cant afford a new mobo, ram etc. Im pretty sure that a repair in xp will be ok, its my vista partition that im concerned about.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:49 AM   #7
Baseband Member

I ordered from overclockers yesterday and received it first thing this morning. Excellent service so far!!!
Jakealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:00 AM   #8
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealien View Post
I ordered from overclockers yesterday and received it first thing this morning. Excellent service so far!!!
Yeah exactly lol. You can guarantee that people who post stuff like "i heard" or "i wouldnt use them because" etc have never actually tried them personally, so their opinion doesnt count to me.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:01 AM   #9
Golden Master

Old 04-25-2007, 02:13 PM   #10
Golden Master

Well, i done my upgrade with no problems. I had to reboot XP once it installed multiprocessor drivers. Vista never had any problems at all. Took 10 mins altogether.