Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-24-2010, 12:41 PM   #21
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: England
Posts: 3,390
Default Re: Processor Debate help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaironl View Post
Do You recommend AMD?
(Not to put brands in a war here)
but i heard intel is better and then AMD is better so being a amateur in this im confused
My view is that they're both great CPU's. The AMD's are cheap but they use the old K10 microarchitecture whereas the latest Intel's use more efficient microarchitecture. This means the Intels do more clock-for-clock compared to the equivalent AMD. Unless your into heavy Audio/Video/CAD/3D work the AMD's are fine. And I reckon it'll be like this until we see what AMD's more efficient Bulldozer is like; the clue i'm sure is in the name....

i5 750 or the Phenom II 955 is where to start.
__________________

__________________
Lenovo ThinkPad T410 - i7 620M - 8GB RAM - Crucial M4 120GB SSD - 250GB 2nd drive - Intel HD 3000 GPU - 1440x900 - Windows 7/8
REMENIZ Computers
Remeniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 05:37 PM   #22
In Runtime
 
vaironl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 124
Default Re: Processor Debate help!

Soo basically be careful with both choices
__________________

__________________
[MY PC] - Desktop
Windows vista home premium
AMD Athlon(tm)64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+
1.50GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
vaironl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 05:49 PM   #23
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: England
Posts: 3,390
Default Re: Processor Debate help!

It really depends on what you plan to do on this machine and how much you have for this build.
__________________
Lenovo ThinkPad T410 - i7 620M - 8GB RAM - Crucial M4 120GB SSD - 250GB 2nd drive - Intel HD 3000 GPU - 1440x900 - Windows 7/8
REMENIZ Computers
Remeniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 06:12 PM   #24
In Runtime
 
vaironl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 124
Default Re: Processor Debate help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remeniz View Post
It really depends on what you plan to do on this machine and how much you have for this build.
Planning on doing video editing (sony vegas) and video games.
Should i get 1TB memory? will the pc support it? i always had that question
__________________
[MY PC] - Desktop
Windows vista home premium
AMD Athlon(tm)64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+
1.50GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
vaironl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:58 AM   #25
In Runtime
 
Aastii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 329
Default Re: Processor Debate help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaironl View Post
Planning on doing video editing (sony vegas) and video games.
Should i get 1TB memory? will the pc support it? i always had that question
In that case, Intel, because by the end of Januray, which I assume it will be after then that you have the money together for this build, their new architecture will be out, driving the prices of current CPUs down, and possibly providing an option equal to the performance of socket 1366 processors, but for less.

However, if you only have the money past mid 2011, wait for bulldozer and see how it performs, and if it is better than Intel's Sandy Bridge.

For your storage (memory = RAM, not hard drive space), any system will support 1TB hard drives. Any system will support up to 2TB hard drives, however drives larger than that are not supported by the computer BIOS, you must have a motherboard with UEFI, of which there currently are very, very few on the market, though that is set to change with the release of the new motherboards with socket 1155 (Sandy Bridge) and most probably with AM3+ too (bulldozer). UEFI can support something daft like up to 9.5ZB (Zotabyte = 10200547328 TB) storage devices
__________________
Primary::: Asus M4A79XTD EVO | AMD Phenom II x3 720BE @ 3.4GHz | 2 x 2GB Corsair 1600MHz | XFX HD5770 + eVGA GTX260 Physx | 500GB Samsung F3 + 520GB Storage | Corsair Obsidian 700D | Win 7 Ultimate x64
Secondary::: Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus | Intel Q6600 | 2 x 1GB Corsair 800MHz | Gigabyte 9800GT | 180GB Caviar Blue + 250GB Storage | Win 7 Ultimate x64
Aastii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:27 AM   #26
In Runtime
 
vaironl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 124
Default Re: Processor Debate help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aastii View Post
In that case, Intel, because by the end of Januray, which I assume it will be after then that you have the money together for this build, their new architecture will be out, driving the prices of current CPUs down, and possibly providing an option equal to the performance of socket 1366 processors, but for less.

However, if you only have the money past mid 2011, wait for bulldozer and see how it performs, and if it is better than Intel's Sandy Bridge.

For your storage (memory = RAM, not hard drive space), any system will support 1TB hard drives. Any system will support up to 2TB hard drives, however drives larger than that are not supported by the computer BIOS, you must have a motherboard with UEFI, of which there currently are very, very few on the market, though that is set to change with the release of the new motherboards with socket 1155 (Sandy Bridge) and most probably with AM3+ too (bulldozer). UEFI can support something daft like up to 9.5ZB (Zotabyte = 10200547328 TB) storage devices
Who the freak Wants that many TB ?!
Goverment? Video editors?
Phone Companies?
So about 4GB memory will run with it just fine?
__________________
[MY PC] - Desktop
Windows vista home premium
AMD Athlon(tm)64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+
1.50GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
vaironl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:33 PM   #27
In Runtime
 
Aastii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 329
Default Re: Processor Debate help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaironl View Post
Who the freak Wants that many TB ?!
Goverment? Video editors?
Phone Companies?
So about 4GB memory will run with it just fine?
Nobody. So far as I am aware, we still haven't even hit 1ZB mark for the total storage used in all of the storage devices in the world combined. 1TB, heck even 1GB was unimaginable 30 years back with the first proper use of a BIOS, yet now we are at the maximum the BIOS has to offer so far as storage is concerned, so I have no doubt one day we will have drives measured in ZB, though they will be vastly different to anything we currently have.

Back on topic, and 4GB memory is plenty for your needs
__________________
Primary::: Asus M4A79XTD EVO | AMD Phenom II x3 720BE @ 3.4GHz | 2 x 2GB Corsair 1600MHz | XFX HD5770 + eVGA GTX260 Physx | 500GB Samsung F3 + 520GB Storage | Corsair Obsidian 700D | Win 7 Ultimate x64
Secondary::: Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus | Intel Q6600 | 2 x 1GB Corsair 800MHz | Gigabyte 9800GT | 180GB Caviar Blue + 250GB Storage | Win 7 Ultimate x64
Aastii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #28
In Runtime
 
vaironl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 124
Default Re: Processor Debate help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aastii View Post
Nobody. So far as I am aware, we still haven't even hit 1ZB mark for the total storage used in all of the storage devices in the world combined. 1TB, heck even 1GB was unimaginable 30 years back with the first proper use of a BIOS, yet now we are at the maximum the BIOS has to offer so far as storage is concerned, so I have no doubt one day we will have drives measured in ZB, though they will be vastly different to anything we currently have.

Back on topic, and 4GB memory is plenty for your needs
yea but what i mean Does the Hard drive memory and memory have to do something in similar?
let's say i buy 1TB ( Im not , probably ill go for a 650GB) Will a 2GB memory (RAM) Run this?
__________________
[MY PC] - Desktop
Windows vista home premium
AMD Athlon(tm)64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+
1.50GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
vaironl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:45 PM   #29
In Runtime
 
Aastii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 329
Default Re: Processor Debate help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaironl View Post
yea but what i mean Does the Hard drive memory and memory have to do something in similar?
let's say i buy 1TB ( Im not , probably ill go for a 650GB) Will a 2GB memory (RAM) Run this?
Yes, memory and hard drive performance and size are not dependant on each other. 3 years ago I was running a 180GB hard drive + 2GB memory. At one point I had a 180GB hard drive + 8GB memory. I then went to have a 500GB hard drive + 4GB faster memory. The capacity of the hard drive and memory do not affect each other, at least in terms of compatibility.

When you say do they have to do something similar, yes and no. Both your storage drive and your RAM are memory devices, however they are very different. your storage drive, and any other storage device, are known as secondary storage, whilst system memory (RAM) is known as primary storage.

Primary storage holds information which the system is currently using, so everything on screen, everything off screen, and some things to do with data which the processor is currently using are stored on your primary memory. This includes memory on your processor as well as RAM.

Secondary storage holds stuff not being used by the system, so all of your programs, pictures, music, files, OS etc. When you open a program, the data is loaded from secondary storage to primary storage - from your hard drive to memory.

There are, however, instances where your secondary storage will be used as primary storage. Say you have a computer system with 100MB RAM and currently you ahve 95MB of memory used. You try to open another program which takes up 10MB space. Obviously you don't have the room to do that, so your computer will use a type of memory management called paging (page-ing). It will store either the program that is to be loaded, or much more likely, data from primary storage that hasn't been used for a while, into a reserved space in your secondary storage, creating extra virtual memory so the system will still work.

Will give you a quick little fact here - if the processor is spending more time moving files to and from the hard drive/secondary storage, this is known as disk threshing.

Now that you know that, it should be clear that having 1TB of data stored won't affect your memory at all. Just because you have 1TB of data doesn't mean you will be using 1TB of data. Whilst idle your system probably won't be using more than a few hundred MB of memory, only when you start doing something will that number increase, and generally it won't be from data being retrieved from secondary storage. To see what I mean, close your internet browser and open up task manage, then click the processes tab and then name. Open up your internet browser. The name will be added to the list, find it, it is usually exactly what the prgram is - Internet Explorer is iexplorer.exe, firefox is firefox.exe, chrome is chrome.exe, opera is opera.exe etc. Note what the memory used by that program is. Use the internet a bit, then check the memory again. Use the internet a bit more, and then check again. You should notice is started out at maybe 20MB, and after a few minutes of browsing is up to a few hundred MB. This is because it has stored the pages which load when you hit the back button, it has stored certain stuff that you have typed but not posted, it has stored the current page that you are on with all of the plugins. None of that is from your hard drive, it is all from the internet and the program itself.
__________________
Primary::: Asus M4A79XTD EVO | AMD Phenom II x3 720BE @ 3.4GHz | 2 x 2GB Corsair 1600MHz | XFX HD5770 + eVGA GTX260 Physx | 500GB Samsung F3 + 520GB Storage | Corsair Obsidian 700D | Win 7 Ultimate x64
Secondary::: Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus | Intel Q6600 | 2 x 1GB Corsair 800MHz | Gigabyte 9800GT | 180GB Caviar Blue + 250GB Storage | Win 7 Ultimate x64
Aastii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:32 AM   #30
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: England
Posts: 3,390
Default Re: Processor Debate help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaironl View Post
yea but what i mean Does the Hard drive memory and memory have to do something in similar?
let's say i buy 1TB ( Im not , probably ill go for a 650GB) Will a 2GB memory (RAM) Run this?
The RAM and Hard drives are totally intendant and you can have what ever RAM and HD sizes you want.

The RAM is an area that programs/applications run and the hard drives are used as permanent storage.

Select your sizes for both as you wish.
__________________

__________________
Lenovo ThinkPad T410 - i7 620M - 8GB RAM - Crucial M4 120GB SSD - 250GB 2nd drive - Intel HD 3000 GPU - 1440x900 - Windows 7/8
REMENIZ Computers
Remeniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0