processor

Cache is a high-speed memory buffer that temporarily stores data for use by the processor.

which adds an ironic twist, AMD chips don't benefit from cache nearly the same as the Intels do, at least with current gen processors.

Depends on what your goal is.

Fastest performance = Intel i5 or i7

More cores for the money = AMD

i want it to be able to handle a large load from programs running but got to balance price in there to since the guy gave me a crazy price for what he wants me to do/ get lol. i do plan on over clocking if that makes any differance though my guess is no. wouldnt more cores help it handle more?

More cores = more complexity = (generally) less stability overclocking, but there are chips out there now from both lots that do 4GHz easily. If all you care about is performance, the i5's and i7's are the ones to have. If you routinely use heavily core-dependent tasks, the AMD Phenom II X6 is a good chip. It's just not as fast as the i5's or i7's in lightly or medium threaded workloads. The right program can make an i7 scream in terror while the Phenom II X6 will be fine, though those apps are rare especially considering Intel made HyperThreading on their i7's work very well to their advantage.

The sweet spot right now is an i5 and overclock it. If you don't overclock, the i7 is great if you can afford it, especially the 2600 / 2600K

Back
Top Bottom