Processing chip question

I am thinking about buying a 3.0 GHZ chip, but they are quite expensive and there might be something cheaper that will suit my needs.

I will be hosting/playing Call of Duty United Offense, Tribes Starsiege, Counterstrike, and other good games when they come out. I will also be using the PC for some interenet and e-mail.

I'm thinking I may not need the power of a 3.0 GHZ chip and could maybe go 1.8 GHZ. What are your opinions?

Hmm...depends what processor you are looking for. An AMD Athlon 64 is of course better for games than an Intel pentium 4, which costs more too.

You might be best getting a 939 pin Athon 64 (will hold you for the future too) like the 3000+ or 3200+. These aren't that expensive, and will perform just as good as a Pentium 4 running at 3.0ghz, and 3.2ghz, even though the Athlon's run at 2.8ghz for the 3000+ and 3.0ghz for the 3.2 :)

Since Athlon 64's are cheap though (you might have to buy a new motherboard) I think this would be the best option, since you could get a fast system for much cheaper than you could get a Pentium.

I hope this helps :)

He did say Hosting and Playing though, and make sure you have a good video card helping with the process too of course :) A good CPU with a bad graphics card is useless...

David, did you get my pm? :)

i seriously doubt that 1.8 will get u thru well. Maybe 2.6 but...i don't have all the experience to talk so i'm sure others wil help you. Do you mind a little lag time when you host a game. And how many users on an average will be in a game? Because..you need a stinkin fast computer to host and not experience lag.

Yeah, that would matter. Maybe I was going a bit far if you are only going to use it host and play if you had another PC too for isntance. But if its your only PC, I'd seriosuly consider getting a good processor to last you a long time.

Lag will depend on your Internet Connection and speed most of the time, so make sure you have a fast one!

Kage said:
You might be best getting a 939 pin Athon 64 (will hold you for the future too) like the 3000+ or 3200+. These aren't that expensive, and will perform just as good as a Pentium 4 running at 3.0ghz, and 3.2ghz, even though the Athlon's run at 2.8ghz for the 3000+ and 3.0ghz for the 3.2 :)

Isn't it 1.8GHz and 2.0GHz for the 3000+ and 3200+, respectively?

Oh yea...sorry...got a bit mixed up there then, of course it is!

well if youre talking about tribes 1 and cs 1 not source then it wont be too bad at all. the only thing to remember about hosting is you need alot of ram and alot of bandwithd. also, definately amd for gaming.

Back
Top Bottom