Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-31-2004, 09:31 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default problems w/ computer

so i come home today, and sit at the computer and start talkin to ppl over aim. i say a few things, and for some reason, my computer just freezes. nothing works, so i just press the restart button. after that, it doesnt boot up. it gets to the screen that asks the options like Start windows normally, or Last known good configuration and stuff like that.

if i choose start windows normally, a loading bar appears at the bottom, and loads all the way and it just stops there. i restart again after waiting a few mintues, and choose Last known good configuration. It goes to an empty screen w/ a loading bar at the bottom. it loads all the way and just stops. wat could've happend?

oOo sam lee oOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 09:42 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: problems w/ computer

I recon you were using an AOL program.

JK, I'm not sure it sounds like a very strange problem, possibly your RAM. Go to www.memtest86.com and check whether thats the problem.

Corsair 512MB XMS TwinX Low Latency DDR 400 - @ 188Mhz
3dmark03 Score: 5086
CoMpUtaFrEek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 11:00 PM   #3
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to TheSickness Send a message via MSN to TheSickness Send a message via Yahoo to TheSickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by oOo sam lee oOo
so i come home today, and sit at the computer and start talkin to ppl over aim. i say a few things, and for some reason, my computer just freezes. nothing works, so i just press the restart button. after that, it doesnt boot up. it gets to the screen that asks the options like Start windows normally, or Last known good configuration and stuff like that.

if i choose start windows normally, a loading bar appears at the bottom, and loads all the way and it just stops there. i restart again after waiting a few mintues, and choose Last known good configuration. It goes to an empty screen w/ a loading bar at the bottom. it loads all the way and just stops. wat could've happend?
Something like this recently happened to me which made me get a new hd.

Take the side panel off, take out the cables that are conected to the hard drive, plug them back in and boot up. See it that works
TheSickness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 12:45 AM   #4
Solid State Member

haha, i would do the test, but my computer doesnt work, remember? im on my sisters computer right now

we tried disconnecting and reconencting and it still doesnt work.
Old 08-01-2004, 12:50 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

Well this happened to me as well. Turns out that it was software. Check and see if it boots ups fine in safe mode. IF it does . . . Then you know its software.

When in safe mode, just go to run type in MSCONFIG then go to services tab "hide microsoft services" located at bottom. then turn off all services you dont need.

Run a virus scan, Mine was caused by a combination of viruses and bad programs trying to run at start up.

If not work yet. Unistall all the programs you never use or may have been downloaded from the internet.

Just remeber its your software most likely that is causing this problem. It may take some time to figure out the specific program so be patient and work in safe mode deleting and unistalling.
***THE DYNASTY***: 74.52.232.130:27015
*** GUNGAME ***: 74.52.232.131:27015
*** SOCCER ***: 74.52.232.133:27015
airiox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 01:46 AM   #6
BSOD

Send a message via ICQ to bluto

Quote:

bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 06:02 AM   #7
entity512

I had that kinda problem. I discoverd after 2 years my case that came with my PC had some sort of add on basket for the hdd, only supported by on side. And it was almost falling off. It was vibrating to much and in motion. So it keept freezing...lol
Old 08-01-2004, 06:52 AM   #8
Fully Optimized

Quote:
haha, i would do the test, but my computer doesnt work, remember? im on my sisters computer right now

we tried disconnecting and reconencting and it still doesnt work.
If you can get into bios, you can do the test. Memtest86 is a bootable program to run tests on your memory, heres a detailed guide to what you do..

1. Go to www.memtest86.com and download the latest version - then extract to a floppy.
2. Insert the floppy into the broken computer and start it up. On system boot it should start to test, possibly after you ask it to nicely read the readme.txt or FAQ, might come in useful.

Otherwise your looking at a fresh install of windows or a format..
Corsair 512MB XMS TwinX Low Latency DDR 400 - @ 188Mhz
3dmark03 Score: 5086
CoMpUtaFrEek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 11:43 AM   #9
Solid State Member

safe mode doesnt work.
Old 08-01-2004, 01:50 PM   #10
In Runtime

sounds like a mean virus-Id format and start over
Sometimes the time and agony in trying to restore a system isn't worth it.
when ever you use a messenger service you are taking a risk.
One trick I use is to install a NEW copy of xp that way the data can be recovered and you delete the old system after recovery to save disk space.