Problems setting up my wireless connection

CIFC

Beta member
I hope someone can help and I'm sure its been aske before but I cant find it.
I have recently purchased the Netgear DG834GT Wirelss Modem and then Netgear Wireless USB Adapter. I have Windows XP.
I have set up the modem with cables but now want to set up wireless
I have never used wireless before so I am at a loss.
I have tried running through steps from the Netgear Knowledge Base but the problem is that when I go into Network Connections it asks me to Click the Wireless Connection. The problem being I have no Wireless Connection there. Only a 1394 Connection and Local Area Connection 2
I have tried setting up a new network with no luck.
Hope thats made sense.
Its got me very frustrated and I am hoping someone here can help
Thanks

If you haven't already, run the "Setup CD"

It is basically, Connect the router to a computer(Don't have to but it helps)I understand it is a modem also? So just connect your phone line. Connect the USB to you PC. See if you see a wireless connecting. Also, it should be under warranty if it was recently purchased so you can call Netgear.

-ZackN

EDIT: http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2328 <---Support for that item. I think it is the correct one.

Pretty sure that should help you a lot. Should have came with it though.

Did you install the driver and apps from the netgear install CD?

What type of connection is the Local Area Connection 2? Is that your wireless connection or a wired connection? If it's a wired connection, you should either disconnect the cable or even delete/disable the connection. Then you can run either the software that came with the adapter or create a new connection.

Didnt get the CD when I purchased the Router. I got it from EBay about a month ago but only just sorted out my ISP from when I moved.
The local are connection 2 is wired and its what it runs through at the moment I think.
Not easy to explain it all on here.

Cant you just hook the Router up via an Ethernet cable, then go in to your web browers to the routers local address like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 and setup the wireless settings there? Make sure you are broadcasting your SSID

Also since you got it off ebay I am not sure if it is used or new but if its used it might have previous wireless settings like not to display the SSID or other security options.

Make sure you reset that bad boy first

Cant you just hook the Router up via an Ethernet cable, then go in to your web browers to the routers local address like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 and setup the wireless settings there? Make sure you are broadcasting your SSID

Also since you got it off ebay I am not sure if it is used or new but if its used it might have previous wireless settings like not to display the SSID or other security options.

Make sure you reset that bad boy first

He doesn't have to.. You can connect to a router that isn't broadcasting the SSID as long as you know the SSID.

Please completely reset your router.
Connect your computer to your router, type this into your web browser 192.168.0.1
You should be able to connect.
Username and password should show.

Username: admin
Password: password

From here you should be able to set your desired SSID and protection. (wep, wpa, wpa2)

Don't forget to go to your routers administration page and change the username and password!

Back
Top Bottom