Problems with Seagate External Hard drive

christhompson23

Beta member
Hey, I am having some troubles with my Seagate Expansion external hard drive.

Model ST310005EXA101-RK 1 TB

This model does not have a power switch nor does it need software to recognize.

About a year ago I re-formatted this drive to run in MS-DOS rather than Windows or Apple because I use it mainly for my LG entertainment system. It plugs directly into a USB port on my entertainment system and runs directly from that to the TV. In the past I have had great success plugging the drive into computers running with both MAC OS and Windows OS and it still works perfectly fine when plugged into the LG system. But recently I have not had much luck getting it recognized on a computer. I am unsure of why this is and how to fix the problems. It is not appearing in the Device Manager window of my PC. There is no evidence that is being recognized on my room mate's MacBook Pro, yet for some reason, it seems to work fine on one particular Mac owned my his girlfriend.

The green LED light on the front blinks when the device is in use, and does so just fine and is recognized instantly on both her Mac and my LG system. Yet when I plug it into either my HP DV6 or his MacBook Pro the LED remains solid and will not boot up. It seemed to have no problem working on his MacBook as recently as three weeks ago, but has just stopped working.

I've tried getting in contact with Seagate to attempt to solve the problem - as the device clearly still works and I watch movies and TV off it every day - but I am having no luck getting through the layers of Seagate customer service and support.

Any clarification on what may be or help to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated. I can plug my computer directly to the entertainment system, but being able to watch the files off the hard drive, allowing me to freely use my computer at the same time would be much more convenient.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom