Problems with new HDTV display

Oinkers

Solid State Member
Okay, so I just bought a DVI/HDMI converter cable and am now happily typing away through my new 42 inch plasma display. However, when I try to reset the resolution to a widescreen, the image won't fit on my TV (it displays past all four side boundaries on my TV). Also, if I attempt to display in a standard (non-widescreen) resolution, it only creeps slightly past the top and bottom of my screen (the sides obviously don't make it to the end, and stop short).

My best guess is that the display resolutions preloaded aren't compatible with the dimensions on a HDTV. If that is the case, it probably means I have to download some sort of a patch/update (may be video card specific?) which will allow me to display the correct dimensions for a HDTV. If it's of any importance, I'm running on a GeForce 7800 GTX. It has its own display control panel which I've made use of. It gave me the option to set everything up to 1080i and use the "native resolution" of 1690x1080, but the image was still stretched beyond the screen boundaries.

Does anyone have experience with this, or suggestions on what to do? I figured it would be best to get some advice before I start installing anything I'm unfamiliar with. Thanks in advance, guys

I had the same problem with my tv when I first hooked the computer up to it. It's not a setting with the computer, it's a setting on your tv. Something to do with how it stretches the image. I will look when I get off work tonight, but go through your setting on your tv, it has the options of '4:3', 'overscan', 'stretch', etc. I don't remember which I used, but if you flip through you can probably figure it out before I reply back. But yeah, I'll check in a couple hours for you if you haven't figured it out.

edit: Looked at my tv. It was listed as screen size and for options it has 'Fill', 'Standard', and 'Overscan'. The computer was set to standard I believe and I had to change it to fill. Hopefully this helps.

It gave me the option to set everything up to 1080i and use the "native resolution" of 1690x1080, but the image was still stretched beyond the screen boundaries.

He does mention that his tv is 1080i, but states a resolution of 1690x1080 where it should be 1920x1080.

since its 1080i also make sure you are running at 30hertz for a refresh rate since it is an interlaced scan.

yes, sorry, the native resolution of the TV is 1920x1080. I tried setting it to that resolution, but the image was still stretched. I'll try fooling around with the settings on the TV and see what happens, thanks for the suggestion, I don't know why I didn't think to do that before.

yes, sorry, the native resolution of the TV is 1920x1080. I tried setting it to that resolution, but the image was still stretched. I'll try fooling around with the settings on the TV and see what happens, thanks for the suggestion, I don't know why I didn't think to do that before.

yeah, I didn't think the res would matter, but it was worth a try since it was brought up, but my deal was with the TV, you should be able to fix it, good luck. :)

on your tv make sure you dont have it set to stretch 4:3 images
because then it will stretch a wide screen image

Back
Top Bottom