Problems with new hard drive

lhuser, I will give that a try. I am thinking that the 250gb is about to die but I am not so sure. The reason is because I copied files from the internal 500gb to the external 500gb and it was still slow.

I have tried to use the WD diagnostic tool but I can't. It does not show any physical drives. It just shows logical drives.

For the diagnostics, you'll need to change options in your BIOS. Look for the SATA configuration, and change the setting from AHCI/RAID to IDE/Legacy.

Run the tests, and before you run back in Windows, CHANGE the settings back, or you'll be scared when it'll BSOD on you.

If it's still slow to the new drives, the 250GB HDD doesn't have anything to do with it. It could be your AV that's acting up, like scans and stuff, but I'd doubt it. Try transferring in Safe mode, see if it could be an application ruining the nice transfer speeds.

I don't know if this should make a difference but the hard drives were hooked up on the last connections from the PSU. Well, I moved them up one connection and now the speeds are a little better. Still not like they should be though.

It starts around 120mb's for a few seconds and stayed around 25mb's until I canceled. So I decided to unhook the dvd drive which is on the same cable and it got even better. It spikes around 200mb's then stays around 120mb's for a few seconds and eventually got down to 50mb's and still very slowly going down.

Could this mean a bad PSU cable? Surely not but I may try switching them out anyways.

EDIT: Now I have both 500gb hard drives hooked up as internals and I am not using the 250gb anymore.

Those are the speeds with both hooked up as internals. I haven't switched the SATA cable yet.

Oh I see what you mean.

Do you have a flash drive? You could see what the transfer rate is to that from the different drives, as its transfer rate is unlikely to change from when you bought it.

No I do not have a flash drive.

Since I moved the hard drives up one spot on the connections and removed the dvd drive and it sped up, I am thinking maybe a bad cable from the PSU.

Back
Top Bottom