Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-25-2005, 02:46 AM   #1
Beta Member

Default Problems with my USB ports

I've been having problems with my USB ports ever since I installed Service Pack 2 for Windows XP. Somehow it will recognize my iPod and my portable memory device, both of which were installed and recognized before SP2. But now it will not recognize my new camera or my new printer on any of my 6 USB ports. I've tried updating the drivers and also reinstalling the software for all of them but nothing seems to work. If anyone knows the answer to my problems please let me know. Thanks.

Soccrdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 03:17 AM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage
Default Re: Problems with my USB ports

Hey, first of all Welcome.

I'm afraid that with Service Pack 2, alot of patches had to be made for programs, and new drivers released to get them to work on the newly updated machines. This caused alot of problems for people...more than others.
So though some had no worries what so ever, others had there systems crashing, and programs falling all over the place.

Therefore, I think this is also the issue with your USB drivers.

I would uninstall them, and go about searching for USB 2.0 drivers which will work under Service Pack 2. All will that have been released in the last year so your bound to find one.

I hope this helps

Old 10-25-2005, 03:32 AM   #3
Fully Optimized

Send a message via ICQ to DJ Stephen Send a message via AIM to DJ Stephen Send a message via MSN to DJ Stephen Send a message via Yahoo to DJ Stephen

It must be the usb ports becuase when i installed my windows xp, sp2 was the first thing i put on here, after the antivirus.
DJ Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 09:47 AM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy

when you plug either your new printer or camera in and turn them on, does your computer make the ding-dong sound that it's supposed to when you plug in a usb device?

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 01:27 PM   #5
Beta Member

When I plug either of them into the computer, even though the software is loaded, there is no ding-dong that says that the computer recognized them. It does do the ding-dong noise for my iPod and my memory device though.
Soccrdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 01:41 PM   #6
In Runtime

Its not the ports, its your usb drivers for the usb devices. Uninstall all your usb devices and any applications associated with them through device manager and/or add/remove programs. After that, restart and plug them all in. XP should recognize them; you shouldnt need the extra software except for the ipod.

AnonymousI is offline   Reply With Quote