problems with LGA775 using clips to secure cooler

tehspamninja

Solid State Member
I'm building a new machine (E6600, P5B deluxe, etc etc) and have purchased an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro for my processor, because I intend to overclock it after a while, and have heard about people's heatsinks falling OFF of their motherboards because of the 775 using clips to secure the heatsink :eek: . Why would intel do something like this instead of using screws/bolts? I'm very concerned about my heatsink falling off during transport (i LAN quite frequently) and damaging my components. Is there anything i could purchase for my freezer 7 pro that would allow it to use something other than clips to secure itself (i've heard people mention buying different brackets but I don't know how to go about that)?

Thanks,
Dylan

Um, my Tuniq Tower 120 cooler with an E6600 and an Asus P5B-E motherboard uses 4 screws to be held in. And let me tell you, it's not going anywhere.

My Zalman 9700 has a support bracket that mounts under the motherboard. Then a support that screws into it from the top.

Not sure how you mount the Arctic cooling freezer. I would think it should come with a mounting bracket. I wouldn't buy any aftermarket fan that uses the stock setup. Sure its fine for the stock intel fan/heatsink but for a aftermarket fan thats probally 3-4 times the size I wouldn't trust it.

well here is a pic of the cooler i'm getting
I suppose i can't really do anything about it, but I'm a bit afraid it'll fall out...I might put a zip tie on the fan guard to part of my case just in case it does fall out, so it wont snap off my video card and everything.

ImageWrite.asp

MattieDaShark83 said:
My Zalman 9700 has a support bracket that mounts under the motherboard. Then a support that screws into it from the top.

Not sure how you mount the Arctic cooling freezer. I would think it should come with a mounting bracket. I wouldn't buy any aftermarket fan that uses the stock setup. Sure its fine for the stock intel fan/heatsink but for a aftermarket fan thats probally 3-4 times the size I wouldn't trust it.
Yeah, that's how most aftermarket HSFs work.

oh and sorry for the double post, but the cooler isn't much heavier at all than the stock cooler (barely heavier, if at all), but it is a fair bit taller

ya with the tuniq tower it comes with a back plate you stick on the back of your mobo and then you put a plate over the block of the heatsink, and then put in 4 screws with springs mine is very secure...

you could always go to the hardware store and maybe get some nuts bolts and washers just make sure that you don't over tighten them because if you do it could easily break you rmobo

Back
Top Bottom