Problems with games... possibly the card?

malakian88

Baseband Member
Woo, my second thread. Okey doke. I have been having some interestingly bad experiences with games. I'll use Battlefield 1942 for an example. I meet all the system require.... acutally, i go over them all. But... for some reason.... gameplay is incredibly laggy and slow when i have a lot of the video setting up decently high (but definitely not to high for my system). I do have a PCI graphics card.... why u may ask... cuz compaq is going to hell and there is no AGP port on my mobo....its horrible. could this be causing it? or something else? get back to me please...

BF1942 requirements
Mem - 256 MB
CPU - 500MHz
Drive Space - 1.2 GB
Dx Ver. - 8.0

just tell me if you need more info
----------------
Compaq Presario S5000nx (i hate compaq with a passion...)
Intel Celeron 2.5 GHz
Maxtor 40 GB HD
nVidia GeforceFX 5200 (PCI)
640 MB PC2700
ASUSTek Mobo (I don't know too much about it)
Dx 9.0b
----------------

eh..... hehe.

It is your card. No way that you can fix that i guess.
I don't think there is a PCI card out there right now that can play BATtlefield at decent settings. I might be wrong though. (somebody is sure to pick apart this statement)

I'm sorry to hear that you don't have an AGP slot. I think it's ur card that's causing your problem.

umm.... when did you buy this compaq, and how much dough are you willling to spend on a new comp.
You will need a new computer soon if you plan on playing any new games. No way in hell are you going to be able to play DOOM3 or HL2.

i hate compaq with a passion too.

case design is horrible, that's just the beginning.

yeah.... I have been loosing my mind over D3 and HL2... but i will have an brand new system by then... my friends dad gets computer parts incredibly cheap so i'm going to be building one. the computer is a gift from my mother... so yeah... thats why it sucks like this... if i had a choice and money at the time, I would have just built my own system. But, there is much hope for me, i have made a shit load of money.... my planned system will be ready for many games to come

60 GB HD i usually dont freak out about storage
any new Ati card... possibly a PCIE card
P4 3.06 Ghz with HT
a lot of stuff... i'm getting lazy so yeah.... just imagine a computer (that can play doom 3 etc lol)... made by some average kid... that knows what he's doing...
(gimme suggestions if u want)

Can't wait for any of those new games.... :D

just in case, anyone else think otherwise about my problem?

Well it is 100% without a shadow of a doubt your whole computer.

The 5200 is one of the crappiest cards ever made. sry.
The Celeron is one of the crappiest cpu's ever made. sry.

And to cap that off. Battlefield is on of the most demanding games out there.

It is a game that you would think would require a less amount of specs but truefully it has one of the most unforgiving engines ever made.

I got my last system right after BF 1942 was made and i still couldnt play as high as I wanted.
Some suggestions would be to turn off shadows and lower resolution.

Get BF Vietnam. The engine is better. The gameplay is funner. Plus there is helicopters with sweet music.

----------------------------------------------------

As for suggetions I would uprade you gigage to atleast 80 probably 120 they are only a few extra dollars more.

Dont go with the ATI card its will suck when playing DOOM. Nvidia is the king of OpenGL. ((ATI is currently scrambling trying to make its cards playable for DOOM III)(They have loved to say they were the fastest back in the 9800 days, but no longer they arent))

They are also starting to throw a temper tantrum over pixel shader 3.0. They are also crying because the new patch for far cry has killed ATI's performance and playablilty. Franklys this week everything has been falling apart for ATI. Its about as a disasterous of a week a company like ATI could have. Nvidia has dethrowned them and taken back the coveted crown of the king.

Go with an Athlon, it will be faster and less expensive.

www.cyberpowersystem.com

It might lack the fun of building a system on your own, but you do get to completely customize it, in the style of alienware, but significantly cheaper. I have found that by eperimenting with computer setups on this site, it is easy to find some deals that are very tempting.

I know that you said you can get some good deals on parts from your friend's dad, but I just wanted to throw this out there, because it is worth a glance... not to mention the fact that they have some slick cases.

Yeah, I suspected that much about my CPU. And I basically stopped paying attention to how companies were doing with their cards. So I'll definitely check out what the hell's going on with cards. Thanx for the tips. Farsox, that site was pretty good. I'm actually not sure what I'm going to do about where i'm getting my new system...

Thanx

Back
Top Bottom