problems after oc'ing 7950GT

xtremezx2

Daemon Poster
Well the computer was completed yesterday while i was at work. Specs are below of course, i tried to be pretty thourough. we ran 3dmark06 on it after a fresh install of windows and i got a 4780 roughly (forgot to save it, but thats close) which was close to my buddies oc'd 7900gt setup. i was like, kewl, i'll clock it up a bit and see what it can do this morning. after browsing on another forum i found that rivatuner worked well so i downloaded it and set it up and went at it. my score after oc'ing to 615 gpu/800 mem (1600 effective) from the stock 570/729 and my score went down to about 4200.
This obviously puzzled me so i ran 3dmark03 and my score was ~12000. at this point it was more a WTF, i scored better with my buddies 1600xt and this card should be close to 20000 at least stock. what could be possibly wrong with it, it worked fine last night and then i put updates on when i got home and overclocked this morning.
sorry this got kind of long, but i wanted to make sure the whole story was there. Thanks in advance everyone.

Adam

well there is a few possible things. You might have overclocked it too much, though to me the clocks look fine but if it's not getting a better score then it's best to downclock it a little and see what happens to the score. Could also be your psu. With my last build I had a really crappy psu. So when I oc'd a little, the psu couldn't give enough power and the vid card started to get a lower score on all of those tests. Never actually tested if it was a the psu, but I don't know what else it could have been, and the psu sucked so bad :D. It came with a prebuilt machine I bought once.

well, i uninstalled the overclock utility and went back to my stock clocks and its still not performing. i just can't believe it only scored 12000 on 03, thats so wrong. i don't think its the psu, i have dual 26amp +12's. it should be more than enough to run this card full bore. i'm thinking i might have to reinstall the drivers, and if that don't work i'll reinstall the os for the 3rd time in 2 days :( this is getting pretty weak, haha.

my computer runs fine with a 485watt psu. Main thing is to be sure to not overclock it too much. If you have then while playing games the colours on the screen will be messed up. Is there anything else wrong other then the 3d mark score? My 3DMark 06 score is 4875

i figured it out, i was using rivatuner (crap btw) and it corrupted the drivers or something. uninstalled rivatuner and the drivers, reinstalled the drivers and installed ATItool and went to town. my 3dmark06 score is now 5008 and my clocks when from 570/1460 and now I'm sitting at 650/1660!! and my full load temp has never exceeded 55C at the core.

for those who are wondering, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150189
this is the card i got. full passive cooling and its still ice cold. sits about 34C at idle.

Back
Top Bottom