Problem with transfering files to desktop

I ran a quick benchmark on a flash drive using HD Tune. I could be mistaken as well.

Hi guys I just downloaded a file for a game but every time I drag it to the desktop it takes like 1 hour for 200mb and it's going like 3.5 MBps it used to go something like 60 odd I carnt remember but it does it with my external hdd too can you help me ??

Now, is it 3.5Mb/s or 3.5MB/s. Yes, there is a difference.

b = bit

B = byte = 8 bits

Therefore 3.5MB/s is 8x faster than 3.5Mb/s.

But that's still very slow

Yes, it is.

Try testing with a different external drive and see if you get the same result.

If you have multiple external hard drives, try doing a file copy from each drive to the desktop and a drive to drive copy.

If it is slow from one drive to the desktop, then we know that the drive is the culprit.

If it is slow from both drives to the desktop, but fast from drive to drive, then the hard drive in your computer might be the problem. Of course you would probably notice other symptoms.

If the transfer is slow from each drive to the desktop and slow between each drive, then there may be a problem with the USB controller.

I was wondering if the external HDD needs extra power supply.

Could you verify if the transfer speed remains this slow with another USB device (i.e., not using the external HDD and not using this USB cord) through the same USB port?

And how about the same external HDD to a different port on another machine?

Whenever I do massive copies from one drive to another I always:
Disable wifi and hardwire connections.
Disable anti-virus/anti-malware
Hardware monitoring software
Disable screen saver
Anything else that runs in the background
Start the transfer and plop down in front of the boob tube.

Let me comment on that list. Anything that distracts the system from the task at hand will cause some slowdowns. I really can't stand junk running in the background so I personally try to keep that at a bare minimum. But I'm out of my comfort zone with out my anti-virus so that's why I recommend disabling your network connections.
And the last comment is because if you start a massive transfer and then go do something else on the same computer, you're distracting the system. I have 2 other laptops to play with so if the tv gets boring I get on one of those.
Try it. What can it hurt?

Back
Top Bottom