Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-20-2006, 02:59 AM   #1
Golden Master

Default Problem switching on

Can you help please, for the last three mornings I've pushed the button on the case, as Ialways do, & it dies, it's done this in the past occasionly, then, I would press it again straight away, & it was OK, now, I have to go away for ten minutes, brush my teeth etc, try again & it works. the room is at a constant even temperature, not too hot/cold, no dampness, & my desktop is in the same place as it's always been.

Brookfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 03:52 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to Anubis1980 Send a message via Yahoo to Anubis1980
Default Re: Problem switching on

strange! the wires havent worked their way loose have they from the motherboard, the power switch cable i mean? possible its causing an intermittent connection. Its also possible the psu has just given up the ghost. Is the psu big enough for your power requirements? Theres nothing obstructing the power switch being pushed down properly like dust/dirt? wish i could offer better advice!

ps itd be interesting to try another psu if u have access to one, see what happens.

Anubis1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 03:56 AM   #3
Golden Master

My immediate attention would suspect the power supply. How long have you had the PC for? Or for that matter, how long have you had the power supply?
Old 10-20-2006, 04:21 AM   #4
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to Steff

Yea, It could possibly be the power supply. I dont think they are much to buy? Or just lend one to rule out if this is the problem.
Steff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 04:36 AM   #5
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookfield
Can you help please, for the last three mornings I've pushed the button on the case, as Ialways do, & it dies, it's done this in the past occasionly, then, I would press it again straight away, & it was OK, now, I have to go away for ten minutes, brush my teeth etc, try again & it works. the room is at a constant even temperature, not too hot/cold, no dampness, & my desktop is in the same place as it's always been.
Your specs etc might help sort the problem, im leaning towards PSU aswell tho, or something simple like a loose connection somewhere
Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 04:43 AM   #6
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDCorolla
My immediate attention would suspect the power supply. How long have you had the PC for? Or for that matter, how long have you had the power supply?
Eighteen months, both.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:54 AM   #7
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffaz
Your specs etc might help sort the problem, im leaning towards PSU aswell tho, or something simple like a loose connection somewhere
I'm beginning to think it's a loose connection to the power switch, strangely though, it happens only when I first switch on, I switch on 3 or 4 times during the day, no problem.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:10 AM   #8
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis1980
strange! the wires havent worked their way loose have they from the motherboard, the power switch cable i mean? possible its causing an intermittent connection. Its also possible the psu has just given up the ghost. Is the psu big enough for your power requirements? Theres nothing obstructing the power switch being pushed down properly like dust/dirt? wish i could offer better advice!

ps itd be interesting to try another psu if u have access to one, see what happens.
Thanks, I'm inclining toward a loose connection to the power switch, but why it only happens at first switch on, I don't know, the desktop is ony 18 months old, so I don't think it's wear & tear, although I do boot up 3 - 4 times a day, 365 a year, as to power requirements, single fan, printer, scanner, standard speakers, & I don't d/load music at all, the power switch is free from obstruction, offer better advice? youve given me plenty of ideas!
Old 10-20-2006, 05:12 AM   #9
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookfield
I'm beginning to think it's a loose connection to the power switch, strangely though, it happens only when I first switch on, I switch on 3 or 4 times during the day, no problem.
Have you got access to a multimeter to test it? I would open it up and unplug and reseat everything, then ya can rule the loose connection out. Also what size PSU have you got?And are ya running any extra devices off it now compared to when ya got it. Such as USB stuff etc, coz they will all put a strain on ya PSU.
Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 05:16 AM   #10
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffaz
Have you got access to a multimeter to test it? I would open it up and unplug and reseat everything, then ya can rule the loose connection out.
I haven't enough confidence to get into the case, & as I can't lift heavy objects, it would have to be taken away, so it may come to that.