Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-07-2004, 10:14 AM   #1
Beta Member

Default problem starting windows

Hey guys I have Windows ME on my computer and for some time now I sometimes receive an error window saying "file IPHLPAPI.DLL failed to start check file to determine the problem." Also when I try to shutdown or restart it takes a long time for my computer to turn off. I even get a window pop up saying "Wait, End Task, Cancel" as my choices at the bottom of the window. Do I have to restore my entire system or something? Thanks for your responses in advance.

compnoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 10:44 AM   #2
Site Team

Default Re: problem starting windows

No your don't have to restore the system. Do a search for the file and make sure it is OK otherwise you may have to download it or something. The reason your system takes long to shut down is because something has stopped responding which is why that box is popping up.

Old 04-07-2004, 05:15 PM   #3
Guru

Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn

Yeah; could be a faulty program, or one you've deleted but Windows doesn't think has been. Could be a piece of Spyware that is going wrong, or one that takes a long time to close down so Windows thinks it is not responding?
Old 04-07-2004, 05:31 PM   #4
Beta Member

Ok, well I searched for the file and I double clicked on it. Another window pops up saying "these files are used by the operating system and other programs...editing or modifying them could damage your system" then it gives me two choices either to open it with...or cancel. Will it be ok to click "open it with"?
Old 04-07-2004, 08:34 PM   #5
Guru

Unless you have a programming program like Visual Studio then it will be useless.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:24 PM   #6
Beta Member

Ok, well here's another problem I just noticed. I left my computer on for a couple of hours because I went out, and when I came back it looked like my computer just froze. I restarted it and it was fine, and I decided to go on the internet. My computer was on for about 3hrs and it froze on me again. It seems that after 3hrs or so my computer just stops responding. Could the file "IPHLPAPI.DLL" be causing this problem?
Old 04-08-2004, 12:30 AM   #7
BSOD

Send a message via ICQ to bluto
Question Re: problem starting windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnoobie
Hey guys I have Windows ME on my computer and for some time now I sometimes receive an error window saying "file IPHLPAPI.DLL failed to start check file to determine the problem." Also when I try to shutdown or restart it takes a long time for my computer to turn off. I even get a window pop up saying "Wait, End Task, Cancel" as my choices at the bottom of the window. Do I have to restore my entire system or something? Thanks for your responses in advance.
You probably have "scheluded tasks" /control panel
Remove them.
bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 06:56 AM   #8
Guru

Yeah; you could try that. If its happening exactly every 3 hours then it probebly is something like that.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:45 PM   #9
Beta Member

I deleted all my scheduled tasks;I didn't even know I had any. I left my computer on for a couple hours and so far so good. Thanks again guys.
Old 04-09-2004, 04:22 AM   #10
Site Team

No problem.