problem with recognizing all 500 GB

kozmik kaz

Baseband Member
I just put together my new build, and the bios isnt recognizing the full 500 GB on my seagate. Im running it SATA. This is only my 7th build, but each of the previous ones were lower than 137 GB, so I didnt have any issues. I have checked my BIOS ver. and it is the latest that supports 48 bit LBA support. I am running XP with SP3. What I gather is this. I go into the BIOS settings and change the storage configuration to AHCP, however when I try to boot from CD, which is the XP without SP1, it gives me an error message which leads me to conclude that 1) In order to boot from the XP disc while the storage configuration is AHCP it needs to have at least SP1. 2) It wont recognize the full 500 GB instead of the 137 until I can do this. What do we think? any suggestions?

did you try formating the drive?

and leaving the bois settings as default.
reading your problem, i would be confused as well...well trying the formating solution.

well I looked further into it, and on the seagate website, it gave me more information. It would do me no use to format it because I dont even have an XP copy with at least SP1 on it, because that is what is needed for windows to recognized any drive bigger than 137 GB

I have a quick question. I have my slipstreamed XP with SP3 but I would think in order for SP 3 to work, I need SP 1 and 2, plus some NEt framework. If I take my new slipstreamed XP with SP3 and try to add SP1 and SP2 to it on a new CD would that work?

Back
Top Bottom