Problem overclocking Q6600

Shantei

In Runtime
I have a P5Q Pro m/b .. and this Q6600 is a version 'gaurenteed' to run at 3.30GHz .....

I recently just bought a new CPU cooler, which works great .. temperatures are good, not a problem.

Before I just had a stock cooler, and overclocked the CPU for the hell of it .. slowly al the way up to 3.30GHz, no adjusting anything and all seemed well .. obviously it was hot, but they were idle, so it was ok. That was a while ago.

Since, Ive reformatted my computer and whatnot, stuck on new cooler, try overclocking and doesn't go well at all (there's no possibility of affecting the overclocking by damaging the CPU whilst trying to install the cooler is there? I doubt it at all, but just a thought .. we all press hard on it ^^)

So now, I'm using AI Suite to overclock .. it goesto 2.6, 2.8 and 2.9GHz no problem .. but if I try and get it up to 3 .. it dies before it can load up .. blue screen which encounters an error, restarts and whatever. I've tried adjusting the DRAM frequency so that it's always either slightly above or slightly beow 1000MHz (PC-8000) .. tried adjusting the CPU coltage from 1.3 to 1.425 .. to no avail. WHY WHY has it decided to become like this? It worked before! This is GAURENTEED to run at 3.30 ... my arse.

Help please!

Edit: I aso try adjusting it from BIOS too.

You may have damaged the CPU when you tried overclocking with the stock cooler. The temperature sensors just may be malfunctioning. They would force the CPU to shut down.

I really don't think you damaged the CPU. I think it has more to do with the software change when you reformatted. Have you installed all updates and patches?

What exactly is the error you get when it blue screens?

Wow. First of all Atomic Rooster thanks for the bue screen check. But for some reason, I thought, fuck it .. I'll pump it up to 3.30GHz straight away .. obviousy didn't work ... then I remembered upon installing the new cooler, I also put in a new 120mm fan which I'd had for a while ... It seemed to spin very slowy for some reason, but I thought it may have a temp sensor, so adjusted accordingly .. I took it out and bam .. I'm up at 3.30Ghz, no adjustment, stable as hell..

Could someone perhaps explain this for me please?

Back
Top Bottom